Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-06-2012, 09:17 AM   #1

Share |

Need some help with framing for medicine cabinet on a load bearing wall

Here is the picture with the framing in progress.

The wall isnt a 2x6. Instead its a 2x4 with a spilt 2x4 on the back side of every stud making it about a 1/2 short of being a full 2x6. Any ways, Im leaving the split 2x4 on the back side and framing a king and jack stud with a double 2x6 header on top. All of the wires are clipped onto the split 2x4 on the back side.

Im going to be cutting it pretty close with spacing issues for the width of the medicine cabinet. I'd like to keep the medicine cabinet centered, but its going to be pretty tight. Is there a different way I can frame this out with a header isntead of doing the king/jack 2x4s? I need a touch more room and having 3" of it taken up by the studs on the left is cutting it close.

vetting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:24 AM   #2

what is the wall supporting? Another floor above and roof? Just roof?

what is the spacing of the studs? 16" on center?

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:29 AM   #3

It is an inner wall that is perpendicular to the joists below. It is supporting a 2nd floor - another exact bathroom wall above it. Roof is all sorts of different angles so not sure if it has a roof load or not. Joists are 16" on center. Will have to cut out 3 of the studs.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetting View Post
Here is the picture with the framing in progress.

The wall isnt a 2x6. Instead its a 2x4 with a spilt 2x4 on the back side of every stud making it about a 1/2 short of being a full 2x6. Any ways, Im leaving the split 2x4 on the back side and framing a king and jack stud with a double 2x6 header on top. All of the wires are clipped onto the split 2x4 on the back side.

Im going to be cutting it pretty close with spacing issues for the width of the medicine cabinet. I'd like to keep the medicine cabinet centered, but its going to be pretty tight. Is there a different way I can frame this out with a header isntead of doing the king/jack 2x4s? I need a touch more room and having 3" of it taken up by the studs on the left is cutting it close.
Are you saying with the jack studs as shown in the picture, the hole is not wide enough to fit the medicine cabinet?

Also, if the studs are 16" OC puting in 2 sinks in that configuration will be on the cozy side.
goosebarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosebarry View Post
Are you saying with the jack studs as shown in the picture, the hole is not wide enough to fit the medicine cabinet?

Also, if the studs are 16" OC puting in 2 sinks in that configuration will be on the cozy side.
The jack stud on the left just needs to be moved to the left a bit. What I'll do is just bore the hole slightly larger in order to slide it more to the left to fit past a portion of the hub on the stack.

Since Im not sure of the real load on this wall, which I think is minimal, I think this should be ok and actually a bit overkill.

The 2 sinks are going on a 60" vanity. The medicine cabinet is around 49" with the frame. The recesssed portion of it is 46 3/4", which is what has to be fit between the jack studs.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetting View Post
The jack stud on the left just needs to be moved to the left a bit. What I'll do is just bore the hole slightly larger in order to slide it more to the left to fit past a portion of the hub on the stack.

Since Im not sure of the real load on this wall, which I think is minimal, I think this should be ok and actually a bit overkill.

The 2 sinks are going on a 60" vanity. The medicine cabinet is around 49" with the frame. The recesssed portion of it is 46 3/4", which is what has to be fit between the jack studs.
I find that interesting if it is 46 3/4" it is to wide to fit in a standard 48" apart studs.

You said that the wall is 4 by dimensional plus a split stud. The light colored board at the bottom makes me think that it is 4 by with a 2 by applied. If that is the case AND the light colored board circled in the drawing sits on the structure of the house then you could use the existing stud on the right as the jack stud, then tuck a full length stud perpendicularly behind it to support the weight transferring the load to the light colored board.
Be careful, this appears to be a case where somebody is trying to increase the insulation by applying 2 by to the frame of the house. If that is the case, then the 2 by are not tied into the structure and cannot carry the weight
You might have to tweak the location of the sinks slightly. My rough estimate from the picture is you're off by 1/4 to 3/4 of an inch. Most people won't notice if the sinks are off center by that little.

Need some help with framing for medicine cabinet on a load bearing wall-framing22.jpg
goosebarry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to goosebarry For This Useful Post:
vetting (06-06-2012)
Old 06-06-2012, 04:38 PM   #7

Quote:
I find that interesting if it is 46 3/4" it is to wide to fit in a standard 48" apart studs.

You said that the wall is 4 by dimensional plus a split stud. The light colored board at the bottom makes me think that it is 4 by with a 2 by applied. If that is the case AND the light colored board circled in the drawing sits on the structure of the house then you could use the existing stud on the right as the jack stud, then tuck a full length stud perpendicularly behind it to support the weight transferring the load to the light colored board.
Be careful, this appears to be a case where somebody is trying to increase the insulation by applying 2 by to the frame of the house. If that is the case, then the 2 by are not tied into the structure and cannot carry the weight
You might have to tweak the location of the sinks slightly. My rough estimate from the picture is you're off by 1/4 to 3/4 of an inch. Most people won't notice if the sinks are off center by that little.

Attachment 52051
Actually there is a wall on the right side and the double vanity is going right against that. Thats why I have to keep the medicine cabinet centered in just the right spot.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:40 PM   #8

Quote:

Attachment 52051
Oh and the drawing that you did - the stud on the left and right are the actual king/jack studs that I just put in to figure distance. If my plan to bit the king/jack stud on the left over the but a little more doesnt work, I'll just have to cheat the cabinet to the right a bit and be off center. Thanks again for your help.

Last edited by vetting; 06-06-2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:13 PM   #9

YOur jack stud should go all the way up to the header, the sill should go between the jack studs, then cripples under if you want/need.

Some places allow the use of 'Header hangers' a simpson bracket for headers, then you can do away with the jack stud or maybe use a 1x6 as the jack stud.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mae-ling View Post
YOur jack stud should go all the way up to the header, the sill should go between the jack studs, then cripples under if you want/need.

Some places allow the use of 'Header hangers' a simpson bracket for headers, then you can do away with the jack stud or maybe use a 1x6 as the jack stud.
So I did a combination of some suggestions for getting some more room on the left side.

I took a full 2x4 and put it on the backside flush. Then took a 1x4 and put it in as the king stud and then mounted it to the flush 2x4 with Kreg pocket holes every 4 inches. Then took the jack stud and screwed it to the 1x4 and also mounted it to the flush 2x4 with Kreg pocket holes every 4 inches. Then since the entire assebly on the left is over an area that is between floor joists, I carried the load into the basement with 2 2x4s onto a support wall.

Thanks again for everyones help and suggestions.