Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-22-2008, 02:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need some DIY Screen Porch Help

Hi All,

Weekend Warrior question.

I am building a screen porch. My floor to roof post are 6x6's spaced at 8 feet. 16x16 floor. The roof will be an A-frame.

My question is: How should I build my wall cap?

I was planning on using the 6x6 post, across the top, but the inspector indicated that he doesn't have span charts for 6x6s.

so do I use 2 2x6's and lay them flat/horizontal on top of the posts, or do I put them vertical?

or use 2x10s.

I plan on connecting them with simpson ties

thanks.

Dan

dws1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 08:46 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Flat laid 2x material have very little structural use. I would have asked the inspector when he was there what size joists to use. What's the snow load like?
What ever sized joists you use, I would notch out the 6x6 and lay them in the notchs, one on each side, and bolt them together. It's much more stable and looks a little more elegant.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 09:25 AM   #3
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 150

I just built a screened porch on my house and faced the same ?.
I ended up using 2 2x6PT studs for posts @ 3' OC and boxed a 2x6 beam arount the perimeter.

Are you planning on having 8' horizontal openings openings for screening?
If not ,than by infilling with 4x6 posts(to keep an even plane for the screening)a 2x6 beam will carry the load.
Start by nailing a flat 2x6 plate across the tops of the posts,then nail 2 more 2x6 lengths(breaking the joints (if any) over the posts) and have one flush with the interior and one flush with the exterior of the plate,then cap with a 2x6 plate for complete beam.
I plan on capping the interior and exterior of the beam with cedar in the future so the rough framing will not be exposed.
It was easy to do alone and the ease of fastening the beam to the plate made for a secure connection.
Because it will be covered, PT lumber is not needed here.The savings on using the DF framing for the beam and the fact it will look better than PT 6x6 once capped sold me on this approach.

Last edited by oldfrt; 02-24-2008 at 09:28 AM.
oldfrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 04:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Flat laid 2x material have very little structural use. I would have asked the inspector when he was there what size joists to use. What's the snow load like?
What ever sized joists you use, I would notch out the 6x6 and lay them in the notchs, one on each side, and bolt them together. It's much more stable and looks a little more elegant.
Ron

Thanks Ron. I originally planned on using 2x10s and notching like you suggested, but two things stopped me.
1. What do I do with the corner post? If i notch it on onside for 2 2x10s and bolt, what do I do for the front beam? If I notch the post again then there is very little left to bolt to.
2. I ran out of 2x10s and had 6x6 post left over.

If you could suggest something for the conor post section that would be great.

I also did speak with the inspector and he suggested that I go with my original drawing which contained the 2x10s.

Also no snow. I'm in NC.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfrt View Post
I just built a screened porch on my house and faced the same ?.
I ended up using 2 2x6PT studs for posts @ 3' OC and boxed a 2x6 beam arount the perimeter.

Are you planning on having 8' horizontal openings openings for screening?
If not ,than by infilling with 4x6 posts(to keep an even plane for the screening)a 2x6 beam will carry the load.
Start by nailing a flat 2x6 plate across the tops of the posts,then nail 2 more 2x6 lengths(breaking the joints (if any) over the posts) and have one flush with the interior and one flush with the exterior of the plate,then cap with a 2x6 plate for complete beam.
I plan on capping the interior and exterior of the beam with cedar in the future so the rough framing will not be exposed.
It was easy to do alone and the ease of fastening the beam to the plate made for a secure connection.
Because it will be covered, PT lumber is not needed here.The savings on using the DF framing for the beam and the fact it will look better than PT 6x6 once capped sold me on this approach.

Well, Yes I was planning on having 8' openings but decided to go with 4' openings instead (because its easyier to strectch the screen over a smaller opening)

The plan is to have the 6x6 post still spaced at 8' but put a 2x6pt boarch inbetween. So, 6x6 post then 2x6, the post etc.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:19 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

We are buildng a new home and wish to screen in both ends of our breezeway (Mississippi does have insects!). We currently are considering screen walls with a screen door on each end.

We are also thinking about building something that could be fitted with some sort of storm windows during the winter months. We do not wish the room to be insulated as it is an "outdoor" room, but it would be nice to have removable wind barriers.

Any thoughts or recommendations on best way to do the end walls?
Attached Thumbnails
Need some DIY Screen Porch Help-planz.jpg   Need some DIY Screen Porch Help-dsc00613s.jpg  

Last edited by nicksteel; 06-22-2008 at 08:24 AM.
nicksteel is offline   Reply With Quote