Need Some Compact Stair Case Help - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2010, 09:33 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 202
Rewards Points: 150
Default

need some compact stair case help


I've just recently purchased a 97 year old home in a historical area of washington dc. The problem i'm having is that the existing stairs is not installed properly and needs to go. However my opening is very narrow 2" and basement ceiling is only about 6'5. I initially thought about a spiral staircase option but it seems that my opening is too narrow. So i'm now looking at compact stairs http://www.misterstep.com/EN/product...mini-plus.html i'm wondering if anyone here has installed this as a DIY project? if so how do they function? also i'm open to other ideas. thanks much to your help

Advertisement


Last edited by vote4Pedro; 07-22-2010 at 09:40 PM.
vote4Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:41 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South of Boston, MA
Posts: 17,248
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

need some compact stair case help


Existing stairs are usually grandfathered - can usually stay & not meet todays code
Once you take them down you may be required to meet todays codes for stairs

Better check 1st w/local building dept

Advertisement

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scuba_Dave For This Useful Post:
BigJim (07-22-2010)
Old 07-22-2010, 09:43 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Northern Maryland
Posts: 46
Rewards Points: 25
Default

need some compact stair case help


I have never seen this product. It would actually work perfect for a loft that I am working on. I may check it out. As far as install goes, as long as your comfortable with it you should be fine. This is from their website:

Will I need the help of a professional fitter?
Generally this is not required. However if you have never used a drill, assembled a shelf/wardrobe or carried out any manual work, Rintal strongly suggests that you contact a professional. You can call your Misterstep dealer for more information on our installation services.
Justin08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:05 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 202
Rewards Points: 150
Default

need some compact stair case help


Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
Existing stairs are usually grandfathered - can usually stay & not meet todays code
Once you take them down you may be required to meet todays codes for stairs

Better check 1st w/local building dept
good point, i'm not sure. was under the impression that stairs are stairs.
vote4Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:15 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 202
Rewards Points: 150
Default

need some compact stair case help


Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin08 View Post
I have never seen this product. It would actually work perfect for a loft that I am working on. I may check it out. As far as install goes, as long as your comfortable with it you should be fine. This is from their website:

Will I need the help of a professional fitter?
Generally this is not required. However if you have never used a drill, assembled a shelf/wardrobe or carried out any manual work, Rintal strongly suggests that you contact a professional. You can call your Misterstep dealer for more information on our installation services.
please let me know if you find it cheap stateside maybe we'll do a bulk order seeing you are in MD and i'm in DC
vote4Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:25 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South of Boston, MA
Posts: 17,248
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

need some compact stair case help


Quote:
Originally Posted by vote4Pedro View Post
good point, i'm not sure. was under the impression that stairs are stairs.
New stairs need to be 36" wide
They also need a specific rise & run to meet code

2006 IRC regarding stairs

http://www.stairways.org/pdf/2006%20...C%20SCREEN.pdf
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:48 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 202
Rewards Points: 150
Default

need some compact stair case help


it's going to be pretty hard to meet the height requirement as our basement is only 6'5
vote4Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:49 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South of Boston, MA
Posts: 17,248
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

need some compact stair case help


That's why you need to talk to your local building dept

Advertisement

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do you paint an 18 ft high wall, along a stair case? Danijo Painting 13 07-19-2010 02:39 PM
Entry Stair Case ralphfravel Carpentry 1 11-04-2009 08:03 PM
Removing stair case yankep Carpentry 4 10-20-2009 10:55 PM
what's the safest way to install a chandelier over a stair case? diy'er on LI Electrical 18 08-01-2009 04:15 PM
some questions on stair case skirt boarding (how to measure, cut, materials) dwichman Carpentry 2 04-06-2009 06:40 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts