DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Need some advice/ideas on how to shim a post for a post wrap/sleeve

4K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  DIYguy2000 
#1 ·
I have some 6x6 porch posts that I'm going to wrap with a PVC post wrap (Vertatex). It comes in 4 pieces taped at the joints, so all you need to do is apply some PVC glue to the pre-mitered joints, wrap around the post, hold in place, then remove the tape off the outside.

There is a gap between the wrap and the posts (about 1/2" on all sides) though in case the posts are warped. Mine aren't too bad, but I still have to shim the post top, middle and bottom before I wrap the post around.

Any ideas on what the best way to do this would be? I'm thinking just some 1x3 nailed to the post where needed, or cedar shims, and just playing with the shims until the wrap is tight before using the PVC glue. Just wondering if there's some type of easy way to do this. Is there anything like an expanding foam that I could spray onto the posts, set the wrap over the post, and let the foam harden to fill areas of this void space? Just trying to get some random ideas.

Railings will be attached to these wraps and into the post, so whatever method I do I don't want the wrap to be loose fitting around the post.

Thanks!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.