Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-09-2011, 04:39 PM   #1

Share |

Need some advice about add ons

In a year or so my wife and I have decided to add on to our house due to size limitations. I wanted to see if someone on this forum is from the Chattanooga TN or Hamilton County area that can either guide me to the site showing building codes or just give me a straight answer. We are in the city limits and you would think this is something very easily obtainable from the county website but it is not and I have been looking for a while. I am needing to know the following.

Distance needed from property line side?

If we enclose our one carport into a two car garage is there anything I need to know and how far out can I take it from the property line. We are wanting to really square the back off it looks like _llllll_ and include a renovation on our bedroom, master bath and maybe a wood shop room. Just need information on acceptable distances from property line and anything else that I might need to take in consideration. Thanks

bemgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:35 PM   #2
Too Old

Have you gone down to the city office and asked for this info? They usually have handouts and will give you a lot of info over the counter for free.
If you are in the city why are you going to the county website, are they the same where you live?

woodworkbykirk (10-09-2011)
Old 10-09-2011, 06:00 PM   #3
journeyman carpenter

precisely, talk to the local office and tell them your address they can bring up the info and give it to you there. then you can have a better idea of what you can or cant do for your planned addition plus do up your own version of a drawing from which a architect can do up a real drawing
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:51 PM   #4
Residential Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Sec. 38-44. Height and area regulations.
(1) Height: No building shall exceed two and one-half stories or 35 feet in height except that a building may exceed these height regulations provided that for every one (1) foot of additional height over thirty-five (35) feet the building shall be set back one (1) additional foot from all property lines.
(2) Front Setbacks: There shall be a front yard of not less than twenty-five (25) feet. For minimum Suburban Infill Lot Setback, see item (7)(f) of this section. For the Urban Infill Lot Compatibility Option, see Article V, Division 30.
(Ord. No. 11997, 1, 8-21-07; Ord. No. 12277, 2, 8-18-09)
(3) Side Setback: There shall be a side yard on each side of the building of not less than ten (10) feet. For corner lot side yard requirements, see Article VI, Section 38-509.
(4) Rear Setback: There shall be a rear yard of not less than twenty-five (25) feet.
(5) Minimum Lot Area: The only minimum lot area requirement is twenty-five thousand (25,000) square feet for single-family lots on individual wells and septic tanks and seven thousand five hundred (7,500) square feet for single-family lots on sanitary sewers.

From your local ordinances.

This is part of what I do for a living, finding this stuff out.

Andy.
AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalife View Post
Have you gone down to the city office and asked for this info? They usually have handouts and will give you a lot of info over the counter for free.
If you are in the city why are you going to the county website, are they the same where you live?

Thanks your right lol. I guess when people ask I am in Hamilton County but our house is considered in the city I have no clue why. I will probably go down there at some point but surely thought this info would be online somewhere. O well looks like I might be going down there soon enough. If someone knows where online I can get this please advised before next week. Thanks again.
bemgolf is offline   Reply With Quote