Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-11-2014, 02:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

NEED severe help with my ROOF

I am a disabled veteran that has attempted to renovate a home that I have recently taken ownership pf. The house is in extremely terrible shape and I have tried to do the repair and changes with little to no help from family and friends. The most troublesome area is the box, on the top of the roof has begun to pancake on me. The walls on the north and south sides have begun to push out making the south roof that I repaired begin to separate from main load bearing wall for the roof. The jack rafters on both the north and south sides have dropped and are pulling away from the ceiling joists. I can see a gap of about an inch because of the separation. I have attempted to pull the walls the same time I jack the roof. Each time I attempt to pull the walls into place with jacking, the walls do not move and the roof begins to separate at the top from the box. There were a total of 6 layers of shingles with 2 layers of tin on the entire house. I have ripped off the south roof and it now has 1 layer of new shingles. I have enough shingles to do the north side which will help a lot with weight. The 4 corner 2X6 are each 14 ft and the distance from the floor of the attic to the box is roughly 7 ft ( I think it was originally at 8 ft) looking at the house from a distance at the front shows that the roof has shifted and begun to lean to the south. I am in need of some serious help and/or help

Jwertz80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 03:55 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,224

If the structure is starting to show collapse from non-maintenance. There is more going on that would mean that the structure is too unsafe to even enter. As your description is stating that the walls are bowing to the point that it is a ticking time bomb.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
de-nagorg (05-11-2014)
Old 05-11-2014, 03:56 PM   #3

I have recently added some photos of the repairs needed in my albums
Old 05-11-2014, 06:05 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,224

That structure is done for. You are better off selling the land for what it is worth. You need to tear that old structure completely down and build a whole new one. There is no saving it.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:35 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 508

i have seen worse. as long as foundation and walls are good shape it might be worth saving. i would start by doing a cost analyses. then make the decision to rehab or build new
jaydevries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:35 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

I agree with Greg. Your probably better off just tearing it down
ahrens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 01:00 AM   #7

The foundation and walls are sound. The previous had a flat roof on the side that is open and had ripped everything off due to a severe leak at the seam of the angled roof and the flat roof. There were at one point 6 layers of shingles with 2 layers of metal roof. I have repaired the south side and have enough shingles to finish the north side, (the most severe sections), the entire roof before changing to a pitched roof was a total of 12 sq. There is some foundation work needed but only where the flat roof was. All the materials needed to do a complete renovation and re-roof are on-site. I would ensure that it was complete only I am unable to do the work myself. I had a local contractor come in and tell me that it is fixable and that the only issues he saw were the fact that the roof did not have proper supports. In the photos attached I am not sure as to what the proper way of repairing the ceiling joists with the ceiling joist trimmers. Would a knee wall along the ceiling joists in question be enough to add the needed support?
Attached Thumbnails
NEED severe help with my ROOF-1165.jpg   NEED severe help with my ROOF-1178.jpg   NEED severe help with my ROOF-1159.jpg  
Old 05-12-2014, 07:21 AM   #8
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,196

From what I can see there's nothing there that can't fixed. I'm kind of shocked on how quickly some here are telling you to tear your house down.

The biggest problem I see is that it looks like you're in over your head for a diy (the structural portion anyway).

You should be looking for a framer or remodeling contractor in your area to get this put back together and dried in for you. After that there will still be plenty left for you to DIY.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:42 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,064

Retired vet here (USAF). Is there a local Habitat for Humanity office near you? I've worked with them a few times. They don't just build houses from scratch, but also renovate existing ones. You might also check your local Veteran's Affairs office - you may be surprised at all the help that's out there.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to md2lgyk For This Useful Post:
kwikfishron (05-12-2014), roofermann (05-20-2014)
Old 05-12-2014, 07:52 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 524

as one who builds homes. After looking at your photos. tear down is the best option salvage the lumber and reuse the foundation. a whole lot of time and effort saved. or better raze the whole thing and sell the land. It will cost way more to fix it then it is worth. Just figur out how much it will cost then add 30% to that cost. and your close to getting to the ball park. As Greg said tear dowm.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 03:21 PM   #11

I will not be tearing it down, I intend on ripping the north side off and remove the 6 layers of shingles and when it is free of all the weight I am going to make a measurement and make each support the same height at the same distance from the exterior wall and begin pulling the walls back in as I am rebuilding the box on top with the intentions of improving the square on the roof for each section. With the excess weight on the north side with the 6 layers of shingles and a layer of tin removed I believe the removal will allow for an easier fix. I have strongbacks on the ceiling joists, I am going to put collar ties at the same height so that when I begin to raise the roofline to where it is meant to be it will pull each roof and wall section back into the proper seating. I am going to beef up the roof with 2X6 supports all the way around the roof with a knee wall and collar ties. If there is anyone who is willing to give me advice on what the best way to accomplish this would be instead if tearing it down I would appreciate the support and advice. AGAIN, I AM NOT GOING TO TEAR DOWN I know it can be fixed with the proper assistance
The Following User Says Thank You to Jwertz80 For This Useful Post:
roofermann (05-20-2014)
Old 05-16-2014, 06:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwertz80 View Post
I will not be tearing it down, I intend on ripping the north side off and remove the 6 layers of shingles and when it is free of all the weight I am going to make a measurement and make each support the same height at the same distance from the exterior wall and begin pulling the walls back in as I am rebuilding the box on top with the intentions of improving the square on the roof for each section. With the excess weight on the north side with the 6 layers of shingles and a layer of tin removed I believe the removal will allow for an easier fix. I have strongbacks on the ceiling joists, I am going to put collar ties at the same height so that when I begin to raise the roofline to where it is meant to be it will pull each roof and wall section back into the proper seating. I am going to beef up the roof with 2X6 supports all the way around the roof with a knee wall and collar ties. If there is anyone who is willing to give me advice on what the best way to accomplish this would be instead if tearing it down I would appreciate the support and advice. AGAIN, I AM GOING TO TEAR DOWN I know it can be fixed with the proper assistance
Sure, anything can be fixed given enough money and time. However, are you a structural engineer? How many houses have you built? How are you even calculating your loads? For someone stating that they did it all, "with no help from friends or family", I don't really see the point. When you could literally tear down the whole house, use the same floor plans, and have someone come out and frame a roof and all the walls in a week. Less time, less money, more structurally sound. What next, you're going to restore the Roman Colosseum?
PolySuperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:46 PM   #13
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,270

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolySuperman View Post
Sure, anything can be fixed given enough money and time. However, are you a structural engineer? How many houses have you built? How are you even calculating your loads? For someone stating that they did it all, "with no help from friends or family", I don't really see the point. When you could literally tear down the whole house, use the same floor plans, and have someone come out and frame a roof and all the walls in a week. Less time, less money, more structurally sound. What next, you're going to restore the Roman Colosseum?

Forum Posting Rules:

The following is a list of basic guidelines about what is and is not allowed while posting on DIYChatroom.com. These rules are in addition to what is listed in our Terms Of Service , and Advertising Rules. Please read through all of these sections before using our site and contact us if you have questions..

Users shall treat each other with respect at all times on DIYChatroom.com. Name calling, personal attacks, or other inappropriate behavior will not be allowed and may cause your account to be banned.

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
Msradell (05-17-2014)
Old 05-17-2014, 08:19 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 524

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
Forum Posting Rules:

The following is a list of basic guidelines about what is and is not allowed while posting on DIYChatroom.com. These rules are in addition to what is listed in our Terms Of Service , and Advertising Rules. Please read through all of these sections before using our site and contact us if you have questions..

Users shall treat each other with respect at all times on DIYChatroom.com. Name calling, personal attacks, or other inappropriate behavior will not be allowed and may cause your account to be banned.
In all do respect I don't think he said anything snarky I read his post and to me was a breath of fresh air of reality. It would be cheaper safer and faster to do a tear down. Rebuild on the same foundation and be dried in under three weeks.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nailbags For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (05-19-2014)
Old 05-17-2014, 08:27 AM   #15
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbags View Post
In all do respect I don't think he said anything snarky I read his post and to me was a breath of fresh air of reality. It would be cheaper safer and faster to do a tear down. Rebuild on the same foundation and be dried in under three weeks.
NB, I was responding to a reported post. Some people have thick skin some have thin skin. When a person makes a remark like: "What next, you're going to restore the Roman Colosseum?", that is an uncalled for remark. That is not what this forum is here for or about.

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
Dave Sal (05-20-2014), Nailbags (05-20-2014), oh'mike (05-18-2014)