Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-17-2009, 10:56 AM   #1

Share |

Need recommendations for replacement windows

Hi, we are planning to take advantage of the current tax credit by installing replacement windows in our house this year (5 sliders + 2 double hung). I would like good quality windows that will last for a long time, but I don't know any way to compare the quality of the different manufacturers and product lines. There seems to be a lot of conflicting information on the internet -- for example, some people think Pella is the best, and others think there vinyl windows are terrible. Warranties are all over the place -- one company has 20 years on the frame and only 1 year on glass breakage, another invalidates the warranty if the frame is painted, another doesn't apply near salt water.... (BTW, we can't use Andersons b/c they don't have custom sizes on sliders.) Any recommendations, ratings or personal experiences would be much appreciated!

magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:19 PM   #2

Most people here don't like the big box stores for windows for various reasons.

I would check local window builders out and get pricing. They are usually a little more expensive than the box stores, but the window would be more tailored to the climate usually.

That being said, I just ordered Pella Replacement windows from lowes when they had the 20% off special order windows. I got estimates from 4 companies (3 local and lowes) and with the discounts and some other incentives, they came in the cheapest (which was expected).

Now, my reasoning for going with them is that they were the cheapest, and I don't plan on being in my house for more than 10 years. if this had been a house I could see myself staying in longer than that, i would have gone with one of the other companies, who's windows had a lifetime guarentee on anything (including breaking glass) But their estimate came in $1500 more, with 5 less windows than lowes estimate. At this point, i couldn't justify the extra cost, especially when I want to add a bathroom.

jimmyfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:53 PM   #3
239 Adventurer

I just took delivery of Pella's for a whole house renovation. I priced the box stores for the brands they carried (Pella, Jeld-Wen, Anderson, Marvin) and a local window company. I never felt like the box store quotes were right (specs or prices) and the local manufacturer quote was quite a bit.

I ended up getting my windows from a Pella Direct seller ... 6 are custom size double hung, 2 are custom size double-casement and 1 is a 4 casement bow window. I am installing all but the bow window ... Pella is installing the bow window this Friday, it is 9-feet wide and weighs a ton. The total for everything was significantly less than any of the other bids I got and the customer service has been great.

I would recommend checking into a direct distributor in your area if there is one.

Last edited by jbaker1516; 06-17-2009 at 02:58 PM.
jbaker1516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 05:47 AM   #4

I recently had 10 Great Lakes windows installed and like them very much.
slickracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:02 AM   #5

Pella has had rot problems for years and seems to not care about customers, that is why I don't like them.

Windows have to meet certain energy specs to qualify, glass with a U factor better than .30(Ithink). Where are you located?? Many reliable window companies are regional. I buy my vinyl windows from Viwinco, east if Miss., mainly in northeast. Excellent warranty, excellent service if needed. Big box windows are cheap, that is why they are in big box stores.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 10:42 AM   #6

The window performance for the tax credit is .30 or less for the U value and .30 or less for the SHGC. This will appear on the NFRC label that is on the glass. Another area will be a Manufacturers statement assuring compliance of the product. This may be on the window or downloadable from their website. Either way, obtain a copy for your tax records.
fenestrationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:40 PM   #7

i have installed Milgard vinyl windows in replacement of all windows in the house over the past few years - I am well satisfied
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:50 PM   #8
I have gas!

For your homes resale value, I would stick with a brand has a good reputation and marketing budget. Andersen, Pella, Marvin, and Harvey come to mind.
I chose Andersen because the rough opening size wasn't important since I'm doing a complete gut and I could save a bundle by getting them off the shelf at HD.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:50 PM   #9
Newbie Bill

Do you guys prefer windows with PVC (Vinyl) sashes and brickmolds, or Aluminum?

A DIY Noob that knows just enough to be dangerous.
drtbk4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnolia View Post
Hi, we are planning to take advantage of the current tax credit by installing replacement windows in our house this year (5 sliders + 2 double hung). I would like good quality windows that will last for a long time, but I don't know any way to compare the quality of the different manufacturers and product lines. There seems to be a lot of conflicting information on the internet -- for example, some people think Pella is the best, and others think there vinyl windows are terrible. Warranties are all over the place -- one company has 20 years on the frame and only 1 year on glass breakage, another invalidates the warranty if the frame is painted, another doesn't apply near salt water.... (BTW, we can't use Andersons b/c they don't have custom sizes on sliders.) Any recommendations, ratings or personal experiences would be much appreciated!
I recommend Marvin-since you need custom sizes for gliding windows-
I hate vinyl but if you have to either Siminton, Allsides, then Silver Line 8700 Series.
Why not casements- they are the tightest sealing windows- and most MFGs custom size and they look like a glider-
What exactly are your sizes for the gliders?
Have you looked at Eagle Windows? the best of the best hands down

Wood Clad windows goes this way in order:
Eagle
Marvin
Andersen
Koble & Koble
Weather Shield

Top Vinyl:
Siminton
Allsides
Great Lakes
Silver Line

Pella Wood is in Class Action Law suites

Pella Vinyl is crap! Pella uses double sided tape to hold the glass in place
Weep holes in sill allows bugs to build nests-ice could forum in frame if weep holes are plugged and if you slam a sash down you could crack the frame
Pella uses the thinnest paper thin glazing stops on the outside-
Block and tackle balance system
Pocket sill allows ice and snow to build up on the sill
Thinner vinyl on frames and sashes compared to Silver Line and Jeld Wen
Single strength glass more chances for stress crack
One year warranty on stress cracks good luck -if the temperture goes below 0 degrees
Jack screws on side of windows-it takes about 4 times to adjust the window Jack screws correctly
OH Yeah-did I mention the color of the white vinyl Pella Therma star looks like the bottom of my dirty socks

Junk Window - this window is for the uneducated and for suckers
EMILY P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnolia View Post
Any one states that Pella is the best-just got Hoodwinkled- and wants you too get hoodwinkled- View to be the Best for maybe the first couple of years -then they rott- Or they work for Pella or install for Pella..they are not the best and never were... Andersen held the title for the best window for over 100 years..until..Marvin reinvented its self recently and then came Eagle and reinvented it's self.... Eagle...Marvin...Andersen...enough said.....
Andersen is coming out with a new Series of Windows....Called ""A"" Series which from what I hear, is going to be the cats meow...but I only heard this from my rep...they may have custom sizes coming in 11 standard colors and about 12 prestained/painted options and many exterior trim options.... you need to go to an Andersen Window Dealer and ask about them... the A Series has tons of options and will be the next Best Window out

EMILY P is offline   Reply With Quote