Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-06-2010, 09:58 AM   #1

Share |

Need quick Carpenter question please?

Hello- I am having a shop framed as we speak and noticed a gap between the sill plate and wall plate. The bottom of the wall is gapped by the thickness of the 3"x3" washer that bolts down the sill plate on the j-bolt.

Let me try to explain again: The perimeter walls are built on top of a concrete stem wall with j-bolts sticking up. The heavy washer is between the pt sill plate and the wall bottom plate....so the wall does not sit down flush it is gapped about 1/4" by this heavy washer everywhere there is a j-bolt.

Thanks

saltydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:46 AM   #2

hey salty.
sounds like you have double bottom plate, but the second one isn't bolted down?
the j-bolt should be going through both the PT and the regular plate with the washer and nut on top. i don't think there should be a gap, and there's no reason there should be a washer between the two plates.

wombosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:05 PM   #3

You could try a foam sill gasket added on top of the concrete, under the plate to stop the wind from blowing through.
Notch for the washers between plates?
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:14 PM   #4
Mold!! Let's kill it!

In your case, the framer should notch the wall plate down over the washers. Otherwise the wall framing is supported on top of the washers and will sag over time.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:28 PM   #5

Sounds like it's too late to do anything about it other than have the framer lay the walls back down and notch them correctly.
A 3 inch washer is huge, things must have changed since I framed.
Tizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:31 PM   #6

The last few posts are right on! Sill sealer for a capillary and thermal break. Over-sized hole drilled for the bolt/nut with a fan recess for the washer in the 2nd bottom plate. Framer holds the saw up with just the front shoe resting on plate, starts saw with just 3/8" deep blade into work as moving side to side (fan) to remove material for washer. OR, cut a diamond shape out for the bolt/nut with a fan for the washer.
The bolt only goes through one plate, the p.t. bottom one, to install washer and nut there getting the proper depth embedded of the remainder of "J" bolt in the concrete. The washer and nut is required on the bottom plate for the up-lift force resistance, per code.
http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/...-building-code

Be safe, Gary

Last edited by Gary in WA; 08-06-2010 at 02:55 PM.
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote