Need With Putting On A New Gate And Fence - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-04-2012, 03:34 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 77
Question

Need with putting on a new gate and fence

Hey everyone,
I am totally new when it comes to all this work. But i decided to do this by myself for a fun summer project rather than paying someone else. Now i am planning to put fence and one gate on both sides of my house. Heres hows one side of my house looks:
http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/8...1514h58m49.png
As you can see there is no fencing around my house so I am just planning to close the sides of my house without putting any fence and yes both of my neighbours have agreed to this. Heres a rough sketch of one contractor drew it for me:

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/7520/94530359.jpg

Now i have couple questions regarding this sketch. Firstly how many posts would i need? I know for sure that i need posts on sides of both houses but i am still not sure how exactly to go with this. I was wondering if someone can explain me better. Also i just need one door on each side in the middle and i can go 6ft high. I knw for lumber i just need to purchase some 4x4 posts (not sure how many where to put each post), some rails and fence boards. I also need to rent an auger and i would also need some screws. I have already talked to excavation company and they would come by and do the marking.
Thanks

Heres my sketch of how i plan to do this -wouldnt i need 4 posts? :

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/497/22694451.jpg

I am planning to build a gate like this:

How to Fit and Install a Garden Gate - YouTube

Advertisement

GanJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:57 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

That is going to be one heavy door, better get giant hinges. I guess that is why you are using 4x6 posts? But only 2x4s on the ends, are you nailing them to the house? If you are going to attach the rails to the posts with hangers you will need the fence shorter so the pickets will cover them up.

I did not spend the 10 minutes needed to watch your video, maybe that explains everything, sorry.

puttster

Advertisement

puttster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:10 AM   #3
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,032

use string line from house to house for a straight alignment tool. figure out size of gate, 40" works good. Find center along the distance between the 2 houses, this will also be the center of the gate. if the gate is 40" then pull 20" each direction from center and this is where to dig the post holes. dig 2' deep and using concrete set the post ( 8 feet) down in the 2' hole with 6' sticking up in the air. this will give you a 6' fence and gate. use 2x4 on both sides against the houses
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:44 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,030

I'd put posts beside the houses, instead of attaching to the houses.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttster View Post
That is going to be one heavy door, better get giant hinges. I guess that is why you are using 4x6 posts? But only 2x4s on the ends, are you nailing them to the house? If you are going to attach the rails to the posts with hangers you will need the fence shorter so the pickets will cover them up.

I did not spend the 10 minutes needed to watch your video, maybe that explains everything, sorry.

puttster

To answer ur questions:
No i am not planning to nail posts to the house. I am just doing it normally by digging the hole. Why should i attach the rails on the posts using hangers? I am just planning to use 3.5" screws? Isnt this the best way?
What is the best way to build the door? In my opinion video link looks the easiest to me u can just watch this part its 1 min: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_RtJ...ailpage#t=221s
Heres my sketch of the gate:
http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/2531/60516694.jpg

This sketch is done my some contractor and he was asking $1000. Not sure why he is planning to use 2x4 on the sides.

Heres my sketch and i am planning to use 4x4 posts 4 of them. Now i am not sure if this is the best way to do it? Is 2x4 better than 4x4? I need your opinions as i am totally new to this. Also i am not sure if i have the correct rail size? Do i need to put any gravel underneath the post hole and then cement? Or no gravel? I am planning to dig 3-4 ft deep.

Last edited by GanJa; 07-04-2012 at 04:52 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hand drive View Post
use string line from house to house for a straight alignment tool. figure out size of gate, 40" works good. Find center along the distance between the 2 houses, this will also be the center of the gate. if the gate is 40" then pull 20" each direction from center and this is where to dig the post holes. dig 2' deep and using concrete set the post ( 8 feet) down in the 2' hole with 6' sticking up in the air. this will give you a 6' fence and gate. use 2x4 on both sides against the houses
Yes i will use string line for alignment. I will use 40" gate. Why 2 feet deep? Shouldnt i be below the frost line? Some guy who came to my house told me 4 feet. What is the advantage of using 2x4 posts on the sides rather than 4x4?
Old 07-04-2012, 07:49 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,030

Yes go below frost line.
4x4 is better for posts than 2x4.
That video is one way to build a gate, except use 2x4 for the frame and brace then cover in with your 1x6.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:12 PM   #8
AHH, SPANS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GanJa View Post
Yes i will use string line for alignment. I will use 40" gate. Why 2 feet deep? Shouldnt i be below the frost line? Some guy who came to my house told me 4 feet. What is the advantage of using 2x4 posts on the sides rather than 4x4?

2x4 could be used at the sides only if attached to house, otherwise 4x4 set in the ground with holes dug for them. if you need to go 4' down please do, you will then need a 10' post. I forget this is the internet, where I am at 2' holes works for posts set in the earth.
The Following User Says Thank You to hand drive For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (07-05-2012)
Old 07-06-2012, 08:50 AM   #9

thx for replying guys. All of you have been very helpful so far. Now i have couple more questions. Do i need to put gravel first and then put the post in with cement like this guy is showing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0Jv_...tailpage#t=67s or is gravel not necessary? Also is it okay if i use quick dry cement and just pour some water on top for it to dry quickly? What size of screws should i be using? Also how wide should the hole be for the posts?
Old 07-07-2012, 08:19 AM   #10
AHH, SPANS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GanJa View Post
thx for replying guys. All of you have been very helpful so far. Now i have couple more questions. Do i need to put gravel first and then put the post in with cement like this guy is showing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0Jv_...tailpage#t=67s or is gravel not necessary? Also is it okay if i use quick dry cement and just pour some water on top for it to dry quickly? What size of screws should i be using? Also how wide should the hole be for the posts?
gravel is optional. it is good to have it underneath but you still want concrete between the bottom of the post and the gravel or else the post would always be sitting/submerged in water. 12" post holes and 3" or 3.5" screws.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:09 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 150

If it were me I would skip the concrete. Sixteen cubic feet of concrete for that little thing?

Buy a couple of bags of stones, the kind that are about three inches wide. Broken bricks should work, too. Put some in the bottom then backfill the four feet of dirt, tamping down as you come up. Do not use water, just tamp. When you get flush with the surface, set your rocks in and tamp them down. You will be very surprised at how sturdy the rocks will make the post. Very sturdy.

puttster

Last edited by puttster; 07-15-2012 at 09:45 PM.
puttster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:20 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,000

first off you don't need to auger the holes a post digger will do your only going down max 3'-4',definitly 4 posts.simplest way is to just do the fence across between the houses with no gate,then on the vertical cut the gat out between the 2 middle post that is your gate...lay it down(good side onto the grass) screw in some cross pieces and box the back in to catch the hinges and put it back up...basically your building a gate from the fence stock no matter what style it is.to set the post use quick set mortar..dig the hole slide the post in pour 1/2 the bag in water it up to peanit butter consistancy level wiggle the post up it sets within an hour.the gate won't be much a weight on the post the worst might be where the gate swings on(hinges)post to gate.. this YOUTUBE loks real close to your ideas good luck cool project check the video related to this one for post digging and concrete pour

Last edited by biggles; 07-15-2012 at 08:44 AM.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:40 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 258

Depending on where you live, you may need a permit. (or at least check on the rules) Some places don't allow over 4 foot fences without a "variance".
tribe_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:32 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 552

i like to use something like this for gates
http://www.homedepot.com/Building-Ma...&storeId=10051
also i did not see where any one said to call miss dig so you do not hit any utilities. in your pic i see electric meters that look like underground service and usually most utilities are place around same location (phone, gas, water, cable)
jaydevries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:14 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 10

I also need help with a garden fence. I want to put a gate at the start of my path.
The posts are not quite level the right one is slightly off true. This is a shared path so I don't want to spend a lot of money and I am planning of using wood that I have around. Any suggestions ??
Il rather not try to move the post of possible

Need with putting on a new gate and fence-image-224642359.jpg

Also I want to use the original holes for the hinges if possible

Advertisement

Last edited by banana man; 08-26-2012 at 01:23 PM.
banana man is offline   Reply With Quote