DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Need Pro Ceramic Tile Advice

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  tfb4me 
#1 ·
I am an amateur tile installer. My friend wants to use ceramic tiles that are 18" on a vertical wall. I have always used mastic on verticals, but a stock puller at the tile store says I can't use mastic with tiles that large. The mastic will never dry to grout the second day.This area will be exposed to minimal water.

I was going to lay over the green rock, but is it necessary to use hardibacker board?

So do I use something like versabond as I would on a floor?

What size tile is too "big" for mastic?

I also want to redo my second bathroom and wish to use larger tiles for that spa look. The ones I have selected are 15".

Thanks

#4 ·
What, then, is my largest size tile for wall applications that I can use mastic with?
Is there any way I can use sanded grout on a strip of glass tile (about 2" tall) or should I just use non sanded on the whole thing? How can I protect the glass from scratching while grouting?

#5 ·
I have installed stone on walls and was concerned about the weight of it holding so I cut out the section of drywall put in plywood ,felt and lath to reinforce it this gave the thinset or the masonary cement something to hold to.You may have to hold it in place for a min or two so it wont slid out of place but it will hold.As for the glass tile I would use non sanded but I would tape off the tile to keep either sanded or non off it

#8 ·
To answer your question the largest tile you can use Mastic on is a 8x8 and IMO thats too big.I would only go 6x6 myself.If they are going on Drywall or greenboard make sure there is no watter anywhere near.If there is you need a cement backer board.If it is going on wallboard of any sort (green white Blue) you need to use FLEX-BOND to help with movement. If the tile is in a bathroom you should use a waterproff membrain.as for the glass you can buy snaded and non sanded grout in the same colours.Use the non sanded on the glass only!! Good luck and happy tileing!! :whistling2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.