Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-08-2010, 03:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need to pour a steep concrete driveway in sections?

Do I have to pour a steep sloped driveway in sections?

It is about 20 feet wide and 30 feet long. (not including the sidewalk and approach that will also have to be poured too)
The slope is about 5 or 6 feet in the 30 feet.

Thanks

ChipsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:39 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

Hi

Lay the concrete in thin layers - use a garden rake to trawl the concrete flat (it does not need to be smooth), allow each layer to start to set (go green) then follow the same procedure with the next layers then with the final layer make it so that it is slightly higher than the formwork (also make sure the concrete mix is firm - you dont want an wet mix for the final layer) then gently tamp down for a finished surface. One word of warning, you will need some expansion joints to take up any expansion/contraction of the concrete slab over time, otherwise you will eventually get fracture lines develop in the concrete. I would suggest that you put one expansion joint down the middle of the length of the slab and then break these up into smaller chunks say 6ft sections giving a panel size of 10ft x 6ft. Previous approach to laying concrete still applies.

Use bitumen impregnated fibreboard for the expansion joints.

hereslookingatU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:54 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,200

Be sure to tell the mix plant what you are doing when you order the mix. If you don't it may come to the job too wet to begin with. Tell them to deliver the mix at "2-slump" and then you can adjust it at the site if need be.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:38 AM   #4

Thank you for the guidance and direction.
ChipsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:19 PM   #5

if possible start at the bottom and work your way up the slope. this will prevent the concrete from slipping down. it is easier to pull crete than to push it. i would also recomend that you pre place the expantion strips with a keyco. im not sure if this is the correct spell. but you can run rebar into the ground below top of crete and connect the keyco and ex. joint to the bar. this will give you the opportunity to keep your joint straight and gives you a hight to go by in the middle. you could also use this as a form if you wanted to pour in sections, just make sure you don't push the joint. pour on top of the joint to keep away from pushing side to side. i have never poured in layers but that does not mean it will not work. the crete will crack more the less joints you give it. i usually just saw cut it the next day. straight lines and a pro look. this is pretty steep, good luck

if you don't want your concrete to crack don't pour it on this planet!

Last edited by logan1881; 02-09-2010 at 04:39 PM. Reason: more info
logan1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:39 PM   #6
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 75

Logan,

I am not a "concrete guy" but I still do a lot of concrete work for foundations and basements. Most of it is really very straight forward, and I can take enough time with it to make sure I am doing it right.

Personally, I never do the actual flat work, as in the hands on working the slab myself. Sometimes I sub contract the whole thing out, but often I just hire a flat worker for the day. Get some local references and have a long talk with the flat worker on site pre-pour.

Even if you go through a temp agency, it's a modest cost compared to what you are going to be spending that day anyway. And pouring concrete is not a forgiving process. You pretty much get one shot at it. The second shot is a lot more expensive than the first.

Have you thought about adding some color?

Good luck.

Rory

RDG Read Development LLC
Portland, OR
Rory Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 06:34 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,216

2 or 3" slump should be fine - we start wherever the access is easiest - rebar only at d/w throat - never any welded wire mesh or fiber - you'll need 1 longitudinal & 2 transverse jnts for 4" conc - we saw jnts & wouldn't use isolation/expansion jnt for this project.

stadry is online now   Reply With Quote