Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-02-2012, 10:11 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need pole barn structural advice

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and hope one of you can help me with a question. I'm just a DIYer so please be patient with me...

I've constructed a pole building (24'x36') with an upstairs, I'm nearly done all I need to do is build the stairs which will climb along the 36' wall perpendicular to the joists overhead then come to a landing halfway then turn 90 degrees and run parallel to the joists the rest of the way up.

The opening for the stairs has yet to be cut, I have to cut through the plywood floor and the 16" TJI joists that span the 24' width. I understand I need to install a header to support the ends of the joists where they end, also a post will provide support.

The part I'm unsure about it whether or not the short pieces of TJI joist are enough to support the weight of the trusses along the outside wall. To make sure I'm clear, I will try my best to describe how the trusses are supported:

Atop the posts, 2x12 truss carriers are notched into both sides of the posts and through bolted. The 16" TJI joists sit on the carriers. On top of the joists is a layer of plywood flooring. Directly above the carriers are 2 2x8 plates on which the trusses sit and are held down with hurricane clips. The trusses are "gambi" trusses shaped for a gambrel type roof.

My concern is that after I cut the joist they way I plan there will be only 5.5" of TJI joist between the carrier and the plates and trusses above. I've searched online and haven't found any examples of people doing something similar. It seems that if the joist is designed to hold the load I should be OK though I'm concerned that the TJI joist may not be as strong in such a short length.

Can anyone tell me if this is a sound way of doing this?

hikermick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:21 AM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,236

Pictures would help. You are using the word "truss", are these in fact factory or site built trusses or is the roof stick framed?

If you have real trusses, you had better get a structural engineer involved before you cut any truss component.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:31 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,030

Don't believe he is cutting the Gambi trusses (Gambrel roof) , just the floor.
That should have been engineered into the design before the floor joists were put it.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:43 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the quick reply, here are a couple of pictures...

The 2x4 blocks I put in to give me something to nail the rim joist to.

Yes the trusses were factory built. Mae-ling is correct I am not cutting the trusses just the joists. I didn't cut it initially because I thought it would be safer to install the trusses without having a hole.

Need pole barn structural advice-imag0393.jpg

Need pole barn structural advice-imag0394.jpg

Last edited by hikermick; 12-02-2012 at 10:46 AM.
hikermick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:33 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,030

really need this engineered.
Depends on spans and loads.
Usually the joists on each end of the opening are beefed up, doubled or tripled or a beam, then the header goes across, then the shortened joists are put in with hangers.

Last edited by mae-ling; 12-02-2012 at 03:37 PM.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote