Need Opinions On Insulation Of Basement Walls - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-28-2011, 11:15 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need opinions on insulation of basement walls

My basement has finished walls, but no insulation at all. The basment is all concrete walls and has never had water. I have a french drain around the basement with a sump pump. I want to insulate as the room is chilly during the winter and gets warm with 5+ people in the summer. I have 1 6" hit from my forced air heat/ac system in the back of the room that has made a difference, but it not enough. I also have an electric fireplace i use during really cold days to take the chill out of the room. I have 2 outside walls as i am in a middle unit townhouse. one of the walls i can physically get behind to insulate with r13 rolls, but the other outside wall i can not get behind. I do have access through the sump pump access and i can remove my deck steps and a ledger board to get to it from the outside. I was thinking about blown insulation, but i am nervous should i get water, or the moisture in the concrete is not allowed breathe and cause mold. I was told i should rip the drywall down, insulate with r13 and put the wall back up but i was hoping there was an easier way. Also will insulating the outside walls only make a difference if the 2 common walls and floor are not insulated?

Advertisement

mstemphoski is offline   Reply With Quote