Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-23-2009, 12:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need opinions on color scheme for exterior remodel

I'm having a new roof, windows, and siding done this fall, including new doors and trim. It's a low-budget neighborhood (most houses sell for $70-95K), so there's not a whole room in the budget to go upscale, yet I'm looking for something that will look nice when done.

The house is currently black roof with white aluminum siding (1960s), aluminum windows, white steel door. Doesn't get more boring than that.

I've tried the various configurators/visualizers and Certainteed's and Alside's websites, but those only get you so far.

I want to go with a lighter roof color, as the black has been just an insane heat sink.

What I am considering:

Roof: CertainTeed Landmark Reshawn Shake (tannish light brown)

Siding: Alside Coventry Cape Cod Grey

Soffits, Facia: Cape Cod Grey

Shutters: Cranberry

Exterior door: fiberglass, prefinished oak with brown glass center

Storm door: Larson Screen-Away in Cranberry (to match shutters)

Entry light, house numbers, door hardware, mailbox: Not sure whether to go with brass or antique bronze. Am thinking the latter.

Suggestions?

heavyharmonies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:46 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Need opinions on color scheme for exterior remodel

Colour is purely a personal issue and a difficult one to manage. I have worked with architects and colour consultants in two countries and always the best solution is to make up a large colour board to be able to view your actual colours together.

Start with the colour board painting your desired colours ie: roof / wall / trim etc... You may end up having 10 colour boards.....

Once you are close to your desired colour selection, suggest you paint large sample areas on the actual house. I would paint on different walls depending on how the light / shadows hits the wall etc..

If you have trouble starting the process and don't have any idea about what colours you want to start with, go with a colour consultant that is cost effective... Or start driving around your neighbourhood and pick out which colours you like...

Trial and error will probably give you the best result.

davethebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote