Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-28-2012, 07:47 AM   #1

Share |

need to move a pole...

my basement is ready for finishing, i have moved the furnace, water heater, sump pump, and the water treatment....now the pole. It doesn't seem like a big deal, but with the over 6 grand in moving everything else, the wife is not crazy about spending 2 grand on the engineer. The column is one of 4 supporting a first/second floor and I only need to move it 5 feet (11 foot span to 16 ft) to make room for the poker table. In review of the original house plans, the post is rated at 13,500 and the beam is a W8x18 steel and is 40 feet long with columns every 11 feet or so.

The big question, can the job be done by placing a W8x18 steel beam next to the existing one and adding 3 new columns (one next to an existing column and two where the column is to be moved to in order to support the new and old beam.)

I don't mind the potential for over constructing the house support.

Any advice would be great...

Thanks

Tim

Last edited by Woody1610; 07-28-2012 at 07:53 AM. Reason: typos
Woody1610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:56 PM   #2
DIY staff

need to move a pole...

Where did the $2000 engineering fee come from--????

A more typical cost would be in the $500--$700 range--You said you had the original plans---an engineer might not even need to inspect the site---if the house construction followed the plans---

No engineer will give you a good answer without looking at the plans or inspecting the site---Mike----

Old 07-28-2012, 08:56 PM   #3

need to move a pole...

Oh, he looked at the plans and said it could be done, the fee was for plans to outline the support system.

it seemed a little steep to me but two other engineers gave me the same price for the same work.

i' not trying to restructure the entire basement, just move a pole 5 feet.

Tim
Old 07-28-2012, 09:44 PM   #4

need to move a pole...

even if someone were to say the steel beam would work here's the rub .... building codes are typically prescriptive in nature, in other words if you do "what is called for in the code" then you meet the code. there are no prescriptive span tables in regards to steel beams which means if you use a steel beam you need a professional engineer or registered architect to sign off on its use.

if you think the price is high shop around .... lastly how much is the safety of your family and home worth? I don't have an answer for the last question, only you can answer that one .....

Good luck!

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:49 PM   #5

need to move a pole...

If you’re going to all that trouble to place another 40’-0’’ beam in your basement them why don’t you remove your old beam, replace with a W8x24 and the span of the columns will be adjusted accordingly. But before you do any of this please consult with your local structural engineer as he will give you the correct size of beam, column spacing and sign everything off. $500-$700 seems to be the going rate around here. We do this type of work for home owners all the time.
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to epson For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (07-29-2012)
Old 07-29-2012, 04:50 PM   #6

need to move a pole...

well, I'm not replacing the whole 40 ft., I'm just trying to reinforce 15 ft so there is no pole where the poker table will be located. As for the cost, the family and the house are well worth the cost...but if i can save a few grand and get a general answer here...why not. I am probably not the first to think of this and I won't be the last.

I don't mind spending a few hundred more to over shoot than spend a few thousand for the exact answer.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:59 PM   #7
Civil Engineer

need to move a pole...

Certainly you can get an answer here. However, the answer will have ZERO value. You cannot take it to a building inspector, you certainly should not trust your life or the life of your fellow poker players to it, so what are you going to do with a mission critical answer to a structural engineering question? Seriously, you spent 6 grand moving stuff around, I get that you want to safe money on the next phase, but getting an answer to such a question off a CHAT forum is dangerous. Those on this forum qualified to answer such a question are legally prohibited from answering, due to engineering ethics requirements that every professional engineer and architect subscribes to as part of the requirement for getting a license. Anyone not a professional engineer or architect are not legally competent to answer the question. They may be perfectly capable of getting the right answer, but how would you know?
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:37 PM   #8

need to move a pole...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody1610 View Post
well, I'm not replacing the whole 40 ft., I'm just trying to reinforce 15 ft so there is no pole where the poker table will be located. As for the cost, the family and the house are well worth the cost...but if i can save a few grand and get a general answer here...why not. I am probably not the first to think of this and I won't be the last.

I don't mind spending a few hundred more to over shoot than spend a few thousand for the exact answer.
so did you pull a permit to perform this work? if you did you'd need a professional engineer to sign off the use of a steel beam .... there is nothing in the building code that specifies the span of a steel beam

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote