Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-19-2009, 08:39 AM   #1
FX4

Share |

need a little help

I'm getting ready to make a "half wall" this weekend (please see picture below that I photoshoped) . I just want to make sure I understand this correctly. I can frame this little wall, just like you would a normal with 2x4's. Now when it comes to anchoring this thing.... I can anchor it to the floor with concrete anchors as there is just straight concrete under the carpet. Now when comes to attaching it to the wall... do I really need to cut some drywall out of that wall and add extra 2x4's going between the existing ones to attach this? Or can I just just some of the heavy duty hallow wall anchors. Also this wall is only going to measure 13"x36"

I know I'll have to cut some of the metal corner piece to mud it nicely into the existing wall.... Thanks for your help

Last edited by FX4; 11-19-2009 at 08:50 AM.
FX4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:14 AM   #2
Next Time...New Build

need a little help

You can anchor to the floor as you described. As far as tying into the existing wall, I do not feel that you need to add extra framing. Since you are attaching to a corner of the existing wall, you have the end 2 x 4 to nail to. But, as you mentioned, you are already going to remove some of the corner bead on the existing wall, so at the same time you could remove 4.5" of drywall on the wall that your wall is going to tie into. (1/2" drywall, 3 1/2" stud, 1/2" drywall, heading towards the TV) By doing this, you could add 1 or 2 additional 2x4s as nailers for your new wall which would adequately secure the new wall. Just nail them against the existing corner stud.

Good luck.

RickyBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:19 AM   #3
FX4

need a little help

thanks! for the response, I don't think this needs to be bomb proof, but I want to do it right as I don't want anyone simply kicking it and it falling over... not once secured correctly, do you guys think that the mud will crack on the joints if it is kicked or something? if so anyway to prevent it really? I'm just trying to think of problems ahead...

Rafal
Old 11-19-2009, 09:34 AM   #4
Next Time...New Build

need a little help

It could potentially crack if rocked pretty good. What I would do is to run your drywall the length of the new wall to the corner of the existing wall in the other room. You will remove the portion of corner bead in the TV room from the height of your new wall down and leave the corner bead intact in the other room. Carefully remove the drywall on the existing wall from the height of your new wall down. With some patience you will be able to pull the old drywall out from behind the corner bead. Be very careful when doing this as to not crack the wall in the other room!!! Once that is done, you can slide your new drywall behind the old corner bead and run it right into your new wall. If you try to do a butt joint into the existing drywall I would be willing to bet that it will definitely crack and not look as clean. This will allow you to do a much better finish job. Just tape and finish the top and inside corner and you should be in business.....nice photoshop by the way, I really had to look for what you were even talking about!!
Old 11-19-2009, 09:38 AM   #5
FX4

need a little help

thanks for the help.... that makes more sense then simply taping the joint... the top is going to be finished off with a nice white piece of wood with some nice trim around... I'm going to get started tomorrow, so I'll take some progress pictures if I remember...

Rafal
Old 11-19-2009, 07:15 PM   #6

need a little help

If you wanted it to be bomb proof. The end of the wall would be secured through the floor into the floor joists.
harby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:35 PM   #7
FX4

need a little help

Quote:
Originally Posted by harby View Post
If you wanted it to be bomb proof. The end of the wall would be secured through the floor into the floor joists.
I have straight concrete under the carpet...

Rafal
Old 11-30-2009, 08:08 PM   #8
FX4

need a little help

thanks for the help guys here's the final outcome (still need to add trim on the bottom), thanks again!

Old 12-01-2009, 09:49 AM   #9
Next Time...New Build

need a little help

Nice job. Turned out great.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:20 PM   #10

need a little help

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby View Post
Nice job. Turned out great.
what he said
sbmfj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:32 PM   #11
DIY staff

need a little help

Looks like it was born there! Nice work.

oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote