Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-18-2009, 04:31 PM   #1
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Share |

Need to level top of existing foundation wall

Hey everyone!

Well, like any project in an old house, my latest has diverted me down the rabbit hole again! I was stripping the lath and plaster from the walls in the front of my basement as I am going to be finishing these rooms. Since my house does not have any insulation in it, my usual protocol for remodelling anything is to strip off the plaster and lath (which is in pretty bad shape in most rooms anyway) and insulate/firestop as my first step.

Well, on the one side, I got the wall down and found that the existing mudsill was completely rotted. No problem. I jacked/shored the floor above and removed the rotted sill (with little more than a shop vac wand!) in preparation for installing a replacement. The old sill looked as though it was actually poured into the foundation wall and unfortunately, the top of the concrete wall is not completely smooth (it is however pretty flat and plumb).

What would be the best way to remedy this? Are there grinding wheels that can be turned on an angle grinder that would smooth out any rough spots? Or would the better bet be to pour a smooth layer of grout along the entire top surface?

Any help or advice would be hugely appreciated!

Jimmy

Old 10-18-2009, 08:10 PM   #2
Billy

Send a message via AIM to willcmjr

Need to level top of existing foundation wall

If you can get some hi psi, non-shrinking mortar, you can use that. Don't forget to use pressure treated lumber!

willcmjr is offline   Reply With Quote