Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-22-2012, 12:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

need to know if i have built a strong enough foundation and column's for my covered porch, there are 4.

i have 4 and each foundation is about 2 feet deep and shaped like a pyramid and i poured concrete and put a little steel in there, about 4 inches above ground,

then i laid 8 x 16 cinder blocks so the column is a 16 x 16 block column and went up to the deck (house is on pier and beam about 4 foot high off the ground)

and kept on going another 3 feet above the porch deck (i want to cover the blocks with 2 to 3 inch thick rock when done) is this going to be enough strength to support a 10 x 10 wood cedar post on top of concrete column that will support a very large covered porch, this is a custom log home and i made the house roof extend over the porch,

the rafters are 4 x 8's and about 24 foot long on a 12 12 pitch and the deck extends about 12 feet away from the house.

should i put a little concrete in the top 2 cinder blocks of each column and then put my post on top or did i make a mistake and i should have filled the cinder blocks completely full of concrete and then put the post on top,

then i should have dug the foundation deeper, or should i have put a 10 x 10 post from the top of the foundation all the way up to the rafter beam that would make each post about 10 1/2 to 11 feet to support the weight and then attach the deck to that post and then put rock around each post,

i really like the look of the rock columns going up to the hand rail and then natural wood going up to the rafter beam...please help i am a veteran building my own home and don't want any problems later, thanks...

Last edited by oh'mike; 01-22-2012 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Addedspacesbecauseicouldn'treadit
jackhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:41 PM   #2
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

need to know if i have built a strong enough foundation and column's for my covered porch, there are 4.

Hello Jack and welcome the best dary DIY'r site on the web.

Brace yourself for what you about to read, there will be many responses most of which will be direct and to the point, unfortunately you probably won't like the responses.

These kinds of questions are not going to yeild any useful information from an internet chat room.

Mark

Old 01-22-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhill View Post
i have 4 and each foundation is about 2 feet deep and shaped like a pyramid and i poured concrete and put a little steel in there, about 4 inches above ground, then i laid 8 x 16 cinder blocks so the column is a 16 x 16 block column and went up to the deck (house is on pier and beam about 4 foot high off the ground) and kept on going another 3 feet above the porch deck (i want to cover the blocks with 2 to 3 inch thick rock when done) is this going to be enough strength to support a 10 x 10 wood crdar post on top of concrete column that will support a very large covered porch, this is a custom log home and i made the house roof extend over the porch, the rafters are 4 x 8's and about 24 foot long on a 12 12 pitch and the deck extends about 12 feet away from the house. should i put a little concrete in the top 2 cinder blocks of each column and then put my post on top or did i make a mistake and i should have filled the cinder blocks completely full of concrete and then put the post on top, then i should have dug the foundation deeper, or should i have put a 10 x 10 post from the top of the foundation all the way up to the rafter beam that would make each post about 10 1/2 to 11 feet to support the weight and then attach the deck to that post and then put rock around each post, i really like the look of the rock columns going up to the hand rail and then natural wood going up to the rafter beam...please help i am a veteran building my own home and dont want any problems later, thanks...
Why are you asking all this AFTER you did it and not before???? Did you get permits for this and plan on getting inspections???
Old 01-22-2012, 01:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carola View Post
Why are you asking all this AFTER you did it and not before???? Did you get permits for this and plan on getting inspections???
thanks joe thought i would get a diy reply not just some one from the internet, its ok i understand when some one answers a question with a question, its not to late only have 2 done up to the deck level and permits, i live on a ranch outside of the city so no dont need a permit just wanted some one like mike from diy to let me know if the way i was going would be strong enough or if one of the other ways would be stronger, but thanks for jumping on so quickly just wish you had something inteligent to say that would help...
Old 01-22-2012, 02:58 PM   #5
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

Jack, the reasons are plentiful as to why one can't even guess at responses to your quandry,

What type of soil?,
Siesmic zone?,
Frost depth?,
Strength of concrete used (mixture ratio)?
Type of agregate used in concrete mixture?
Size of rbar used?,
Depth of rbar in footing?,
Type of wood used?,
Load being imparted on footings?,
Wind conditions for the area?,
ETC

And last but not least why wasnt' an engineer involved to begin with, after all this is a rather important part of structural design and something that shouldn't have been winged.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:07 PM   #6
Licensed P.E./Home Insp

Rewards Points: 500

Jack, take a step back for a minute. What you're describing is a veneered column pier. Unless it's been engineered, those stone or CMU sections don't normally take any direct vertical load. It's kind of hard to describe in words without a drawing, but nowadays when you see stone or masonry around a column or pier, there's typically an actual column inside the stone veneer section that gets attached directly to a poured concrete footing. That footing is roughly the final outer dimension of your veneered section. The veneer section is then built up around the column. Unless you're installing rebar and grout inside the CMU cells and have a set of details for the footing to tie everything together, I'd stop and rethink this. Also, there are outfits out there that actually sell veneer kits to wrap around columns.
Aggie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:47 PM   #7

thanks for all the info. first time on this site... i was a contractor that built custom log homes, never once did i not pass an inspection on any house, usually because i would over kill the foundation and i have built every log home type you can think of. this porch column has just got me questioning myself and i know i overkilled it and soil and engineers could not of made it more solid its just when it is your home you just some times have a question and look on line and see if there is something else or more you could of done i am getting them finished and could not be happier with everything so thanks guys for all...