DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Need to Join some walls together. Need advice on a couple of things *Pics*

7K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  AtlanticWBConst. 
#1 ·
I'm installing a tub/shower combo in my bathroom. So far, I've had to tear out the existing greenboard in the alcove and get down to the joists to mount the new unit in. Everything is going well. Once I get the unit in, I'm going to have to install some new greenboard above the shower wall. I left a little bit of the existing wall in areas for now until I figure out how to join the walls together. The existing wall that's left is plaster over drywall.

The wall w/ the shower head is bare from floor to ceiling except for about a 2" area that I left hanging down from the ceiling.

The wall along the back side fo the tub is this way as well.

The wall opposite the shower head side is one long wall that extends from the alcove to the right side of the bathroom.

The first two walls I can replace totally. The third wall has existing tile that I'd like to leave, therefore I'd like to just seem this wall w/ my new greenboard.

Here is what I'm asking

1. When it comes to the wall ceiling corner, I originally thought to just score the plaster/drywall a bunch of times w/ a titanium blade and try to leave the ceiling 100% intact and just greenboard right up to the ceiling smoothly. However, there is a metal mesh corner piece in place which is starting to pull the ceiling apart a little as I work. How should I handle this?

2. How should I handle the seam along the existing wall. Is there a good way to cut the plaster over drywall nice and straight to match up the greenboard. It seems like tough stuff to cut.

3. when I do join the greenboard to the ceiling and the greenboard to the wall, is there anything I should do inparticular to make sure the seems are done properly.

Thanks a lot.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
To answer:

Your Pictures really help.
We have done alot of these 'tying-ins'. And we have done alot of walls like what you show and describe.

Answers to Questions:

1.) Get a large chisel and chisel out that leftover corner area. Even if that opposite side chips plaster, you can patch it up with compound.
Any wire mesh left...pound it flat. You can use a wood block and hammer it down. Do it until you have a relatively cleaned up corner that you can get new sheetrock up into.

Another way is to get those jagged edges as straight as you can and just attach the new sheetrock up to it (the edge that you left). See below (3.) what to do, then Tape the seam up.

2.) You can use a sawzall to cut the plaster by keeping the blade cutting at a shallow depth, BUT, the best way to cut that plaster to a straight line:
Mark out a straight line on the center of an existing stud. Get a skill saw, set the depth to match the Plaster depth. Add another 1/8" to it and cut away, again - preferably on the center of a stud (assuming that it is not a stud with wiring or electrical boxes near the cutting)
You might not want to use a favorite blade for this, as you will be throwing it away when you are done.

3.) The only thing about your seams to be concerned with is:
I suggest that you try to use a durabond mix. It is stronger than regular redimix compound when it is dry.

Where you see larger cracks or spaces between seams do this:
BEFORE you apply any kind of mesh or paper tape: Fill in the crevices and wipe excess off to make it a smooth surface. Let this dry, if it is really shrinking into a space, add more again, wipe, let dry. After these 'fill-ins' are done, then put your tape over it and coat.

If you have any more questions .... I'll try to check back on your post...

Good Luck!

#3 ·
Mayaybe I mis-read the original post but are you replacing the wall in the shower? Or is this in another room? It sounded like this was inside the shower to me. Are you going to tile the area or is this just going to be painted? IF you're going to tile you should use cement board instead of greenboard.
If you are redoing the walls in the shower you need to think about some sort of vapor barrier in the wall to prevent moisture from seeping through the walls.
Also I'm not sure if greenboard is really meant for being used for an entire wall inside a shower or not, but maybe someone with more experience could chime in on this.

#4 ·
@ ERIK - Yes its in a shower alcove but the greenboard will not be serving as the shower wall. Its a two piece tub and shower wall unit. The greenboard will simply go over the wall, around the top 18" or so.

@Atlantic - I'd say you answered my questions a little better than I had even phrased them. The minor details you got into are the biggest help thanks. The project is now steam rolling ahead. Big HELP. thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.