Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-07-2011, 09:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need to insulate enclosed porch

I live in a up and down house and im on top floor. i currently have a enclosed porch but it was never insulated and i want to turn it into my bedroom. so the walls i know imma have rip down and redo with insulation in n dry wall...but what type of insulation should i use? the windows r just screens on metal tracts so i am gunna buy all new ones. then i got the ceiling and floors. im kinda stuck on these. the floor is just wood planks that porchs r usual made out of. since im on 2nd floor am i able rip them up then insulate? or am i gunna have raise the floor up and make a new frame ontop old floor then insulate it? but then id have step up into the room. really dont want to do that. then theres the ceiling...this is not my house its my moms so i am not cutting no hole in the roof. i seen something sbout a suffit but im not that good at construction for all that. so how can i do insurlation there? do i tear old ceiling down n put new up or put a new one over old just liek floor? thanks if anyone reads

jnrockme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:35 PM   #2
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

First things first.

#1. Where do you live? Toronto or Florida or somewhere in between. It makes a difference.

#2. Turning a screened in second floor deck or porch into legal living area is most likely going to require a permit.

In your shoes I would start at your building department and get their input regarding permits, codes, etc.

Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:40 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

no i wont need a permit. it is already enclosed. it has walls built and 4 windows. i just wanna rip the inside walls down n put insulation in them. and the floors somehow. i live in cleveland ohio. so would i need vents? what do vents even do.
jnrockme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:13 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

jn: i think you'd be wise to get some good construction books and read up on this stuff. it is easy to make mistakes that are costly: for ex, it may be best for you to condition the area below your floor, etc. answers to a lot of your questions will depend on what you have above and below you. do your best to locate rock (mineral) wool, wool, or cotton batts for insulation. fiberglass is at the bottom of the list for "good insulation". read lots, then get your destruction gear out and have at it.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:19 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Check with your local Building Department. You will need a permit for the "change of use" to a bedroom.

Gary

Tags
flooring, insulation attic vapor