Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-31-2013, 10:02 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Need ideas/suggestions for keeping the water INSIDE the shower stall?

Hello

I apologize if this is in the wrong category....I wasn't sure exactly where I should post this?

I have this shower stall in a small bathroom on the lower level of the house and every time it was used, the floor would be soaked. First I tried a longer shower curtain, which worked pretty good at keeping the water inside, but became moldy, mildewy and gross pretty fast. the next thing I tried is taking two splash guards, a piece of sheet acrylic and massive amounts of silicone to do this:

Front view: Need ideas/suggestions for keeping the water INSIDE the shower stall?-126.jpg

Top view: Need ideas/suggestions for keeping the water INSIDE the shower stall?-130.jpg

Interior view: Need ideas/suggestions for keeping the water INSIDE the shower stall?-131.jpg

Top View close-up: Need ideas/suggestions for keeping the water INSIDE the shower stall?-134.jpg

This worked GREAT for quite some time, but after awhile it was bumped into one too many times and/or the silicone gave way in areas. Now, I'm at a loss at what to do here. I thought about screwing some kind of bracket onto the acrylic sheet/splash guard and then to that angled interior poly surround wall, but I have no idea what type of bracket and screws I should use, or if I should even be making holes into that poly surround? If that's not a good idea, does anyone here have any other inexpensive suggestions of what I can do to keep the water from coming out?

p.s. Please excuse the funky bathroom decor....I know those zebra patterns don't "go" with the floor or awful wallpaper, but that was all just a simple, temporary, decor "fix" to make the room look less like the filthy truck stop bathroom it did when we moved in here.
AngelQM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:06 AM   #2

I've never seen a shower stall that small that didn't have a door. Perhaps you could add one? A plexiglass door would be fine, and a lot cheaper than a glass one.
md2lgyk is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to md2lgyk For This Useful Post:
AngelQM (02-01-2013)
Old 02-01-2013, 01:45 PM   #3
Stuck in the 70's

Yeah, that curb looks like it should have a door rather than a curtain. And I wouldn't make any holes in the surround.

You might try a tension shower rod placed a couple of inched above the curb. If it gets accidentally kicked it is easy to replace. Maybe secure a couple of suction cups at the sides of the curtain.

The bottom line is whoever uses that shower needs to make sure the curtain is in the stall and totally closed. If they are careless, there is not much you can do.

Last edited by Blondesense; 02-01-2013 at 01:56 PM.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blondesense For This Useful Post:
AngelQM (02-01-2013)
Old 02-01-2013, 07:09 PM   #4

Agree. The best way to solve this is with a nice plexiglass door.
AngelQM (02-01-2013)
Old 02-01-2013, 11:10 PM   #5

Ahhh. Good thing I came here! I never even thought of that! A plexiglass door DOES make the most sense. Thank you all!
Old 02-04-2013, 10:10 AM   #6

That looks really dangerous. I would hate to slip and fall on that. Looks like something out of Final Destination.
mikegp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegp View Post
That looks really dangerous. I would hate to slip and fall on that. Looks like something out of Final Destination.
Dangerous? It's less than a foot high. Doesn't take much to lift your foot a bit higher than normal to step in or out. Also, unless you shower in roller skates, it'd be kinda difficult to slip in that bathroom being that the previous owners used a commercial tile on the floor that has some sort of sand finish to it (making it a super P-I-T-A to clean ) and that the shower stall also has a non-slip finish on the floor of it.

I don't remember seeing any small shower stalls with home-made plexiglass splash guards in the movie "Final Destination"???
Old 02-06-2013, 04:49 PM   #8

I just pictured the shower scene where the kid was strangled by the clothesline. Instead he slipped and was guillotined by your plexi. I don't care if it was surrounded by a giant fly trap, that's still dangerous. People fall.
mikegp is online now   Reply With Quote