Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-02-2010, 10:01 PM   #1

Share |

need ideas on this skylight. help please

so it appears that the old owners converted an old fireplace (maybe) vent to be a skylight. it sits in the master bathroom ceiling and it works decently in the summer. however since there isn't anything preventing hot air from escaping, it has turned into quite an energy drain for the winter. (i did like it in the summer).

so any suggestions as what to install here?? i'm simply baffled as what i can buy off the shelf to make this work.

thanks much

vote4Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:41 PM   #2

Have a piece of glass cut smaller then the size
Put trim up to support the glass
Install the glass angled from corner to corner
Then let it lay flat on the new trim
Use some foam sealing tape on the top of the trim - unseen
Easily removed in the summer if you want

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:27 AM   #3

do you think i should go get a custom window made so it can be double paned to avoid any heat loss?
Old 11-03-2010, 12:15 PM   #4

Double pane would be better to save on energy costs
You might want to just get the double pane glass
Also measure it & look on craigslist
Lots of people get rid of double pane windows
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:51 PM   #5

Please check with your local Building Department, even a phone call. To place glass horizontally requires it be thick enough to support itself (and additional weight) and meet the minimum safety requirements for skylights or site-built windows. It may need a mesh screen below or safety glazed to be used in this application. An insulated glass window may work, just check with them. Some are safety rated, most are not. You don't want big shards of razor sharp glass dropping on the child that threw the ball that broke the glazing. Maybe you've seen car window glass on the street, little rounded pieces compared to all sizes of wicked sharp shapes........
You could add some plastic panels from the box store, even two pieces over a center divider to use smaller pieces which they carry. Much safer..... Or just cover it with rigid foam and thin plywood on a removable frame in winter.
Don’t get a window second-hand unless it meets the minimum safety Codes for this application, check before you buy, please.

Skylights
�� Skylights may be tempered, heat-strengthened, laminated, wired, or approved rigid
plastics __________________________________________________ _____ 2405.2

R308.5 Site built windows. Site built windows shall comply with Section 2404 of the InternationalBuilding Code.

Gary

Last edited by Gary in WA; 11-03-2010 at 01:05 PM.
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gary in WA For This Useful Post:
ChrisFixit (11-15-2010), Tom Struble (11-14-2010), tpolk (11-15-2010)
Old 11-03-2010, 01:15 PM   #6

I like the glass idea, but what about using lexan or plexi?
240sx4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:54 PM   #7

Good idea, some are stronger than others. You were typing when I edited/added that, lol. I went to a plastic supply outlet for an odd size/leftover cut for my 16" round van skylight, cuts with a jig saw, files and sands like wood. They use them in dragsters and track cars for windows rather than glass. Way cheaper than the box stores.

Gary
Old 11-03-2010, 03:57 PM   #8

Gary, great minds run in the same gutter!

Agree 100% with talking to a glass shop, they throw away stuff that I find to be usefully sized pretty frequently. One time the local glass shop was cleaning house and gave me (the shop I worked for) all of the scraps. There were some really nice pieces in there!!

Evan
240sx4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:43 PM   #9

thanks for the advice, being not too familiar with a glass shop around me i ended up in home depot
the current design will be a simple stacked together 2 picture frames with silicon holding down acyclic to form an semi double paned effect
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P9pAeti57Y
any objections? looks simple enough
Old 11-12-2010, 08:18 PM   #10

just want to give an project update here. overall cost $65

parts:
1x home depot window 32x19
2x 3x8

so going acyrilic turned out to be ~50/sheet.. so 2 sheets would of been close to 100 in addition to the extra work. I ended up buying a prefab window from home depot, built a frame for the opening and then another smaller frame to fit the window itself in there. I have foam all around the edges to ensure that it's air tight.the 3x8s are attached with 2 4 inch deck screws at each end along with liquid nail at the joints. it feels pretty sturdy. overall time wasted 4hrs including home depot runs.

Last edited by vote4Pedro; 11-12-2010 at 08:22 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:19 PM   #11

Well....... That will keep the window FRAME in place but not the glass. I'm surprised you went with the only wrong suggestion. Don't ever hit it with anything as it will come down in shards, big ones. You installed it backward. The weep holes facing down tell us the window stops (built into the frame) are on the top side. Remove the vinyl glazing trim stops and the whole glazing unit will drop free. Keep current on your Homeowner's Insurance....

Gary
kwikfishron (11-14-2010), Tom Struble (11-14-2010)
Old 11-14-2010, 06:54 AM   #12

diy at its finest
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Struble For This Useful Post:
kwikfishron (11-14-2010)
Old 11-14-2010, 07:27 PM   #13

lol.. that's pretty harsh for a DIY job that will only stay in place through the winter. no kids in the house (visitors or otherwise) nor do i plan on throwing objects at it. considering my situation, i'm okay with accepting the risks associated with it. it's in the master bathroom and will come out as soon as cold weather is over.. no need to over do it IMO.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:27 PM   #14

well if it temporary and your happy with it...but if you don't mind i'd like to keep the pics to show what not to do
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:55 AM   #15

as long as you also point out that it's an accepted risk a DIY-er took instead of using it as a sales pitch for not going the DIY route. given enough money/time, of course i'd like to hire someone to build me something bomb proof. however, considering the circumstances/use and balancing cost/effort, it just makes sense to get the job done now with the tools i have at my disposal. I do admit i should have considered checking into tempered windows a little more or consider leaving the mesh screen in there to catch anything that may fall.. but once again, it's accepted risk.

Last edited by vote4Pedro; 11-15-2010 at 07:58 AM.