Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-05-2013, 01:43 PM   #1

Share |

Need ideas on how to fur out this basement entry door

I'm Furring my exterior walls with 2x2's and I'm puzzled on how to go about the area at this entry door from the garage. The block wall has 1.5" Thermax glued to the blocking. Do I just install an extension jam out to the interior side of my 2x2 furring plus 1/2" for drywall and frame in the top to match? There is nothing solid to shim and nail an extension jam to now just foam.
Need ideas on how to fur out this basement entry door-001.jpg

Need ideas on how to fur out this basement entry door-002.jpg

Need ideas on how to fur out this basement entry door-003.jpg

crankcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:18 PM   #2

First off how is the hinge side of your down only fastened to foam. I would do treated lumber on bottom plate with foam under.

kaschmid3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:54 PM   #3
A "Handy Husband"

Remove the door & frame and reinstall flush with the furred out wall. Install the extension jambs on the exterior.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:44 PM   #4
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
Remove the door & frame and reinstall flush with the furred out wall. Install the extension jambs on the exterior.
+1 except it should be flush with the interior "finished" wall (Sheetrock or whatever).

Crankcase... if you don't move the door in it won't be able to open much more than 90 deg. making it real easy for someone to rip the door off the hinges.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaschmid3 View Post
First off how is the hinge side of your down only fastened to foam. I would do treated lumber on bottom plate with foam under.
On the hinge side it looks like the builder ripped some OSB and must have used Tapcons into the block, then shimmed and nailed into the OSB. The foamboard just returns and stops at the interior side of the door I assume.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
+1 except it should be flush with the interior "finished" wall (Sheetrock or whatever).

Crankcase... if you don't move the door in it won't be able to open much more than 90 deg. making it real easy for someone to rip the door off the hinges.
Good point. I would think I would remove all foam on the jam sides, then throw up some VB and Tapcon treated 3/4 or treated ply attached to the block flush with the interior finished wall. Then add extensions to the exterior side.
I think the door bottom is just sitting on concrete should I just caulk or use a sill seal at all? The basement floor is heated, I dont think there is a thermal break. just a cold joint at the stair bottom I wont know till I pull out the door.