DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Building & Construction (http://www.diychatroom.com/f19/)
-   -   Need ideas on how to fur out this basement entry door (http://www.diychatroom.com/f19/need-ideas-how-fur-out-basement-entry-door-173665/)

crankcase 03-05-2013 02:43 PM

Need ideas on how to fur out this basement entry door
 
3 Attachment(s)
I'm Furring my exterior walls with 2x2's and I'm puzzled on how to go about the area at this entry door from the garage. The block wall has 1.5" Thermax glued to the blocking. Do I just install an extension jam out to the interior side of my 2x2 furring plus 1/2" for drywall and frame in the top to match? There is nothing solid to shim and nail an extension jam to now just foam.
Attachment 66812

Attachment 66813

Attachment 66814

kaschmid3 03-05-2013 06:18 PM

First off how is the hinge side of your down only fastened to foam. I would do treated lumber on bottom plate with foam under.

rjniles 03-05-2013 06:54 PM

Remove the door & frame and reinstall flush with the furred out wall. Install the extension jambs on the exterior.

kwikfishron 03-05-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjniles (Post 1130663)
Remove the door & frame and reinstall flush with the furred out wall. Install the extension jambs on the exterior.

+1 except it should be flush with the interior "finished" wall (Sheetrock or whatever).

Crankcase... if you don't move the door in it won't be able to open much more than 90 deg. making it real easy for someone to rip the door off the hinges. :huh:

crankcase 03-06-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaschmid3 (Post 1130630)
First off how is the hinge side of your down only fastened to foam. I would do treated lumber on bottom plate with foam under.

On the hinge side it looks like the builder ripped some OSB and must have used Tapcons into the block, then shimmed and nailed into the OSB. The foamboard just returns and stops at the interior side of the door I assume.

crankcase 03-06-2013 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwikfishron (Post 1130696)
+1 except it should be flush with the interior "finished" wall (Sheetrock or whatever).

Crankcase... if you don't move the door in it won't be able to open much more than 90 deg. making it real easy for someone to rip the door off the hinges. :huh:

Good point. I would think I would remove all foam on the jam sides, then throw up some VB and Tapcon treated 3/4 or treated ply attached to the block flush with the interior finished wall. Then add extensions to the exterior side.
I think the door bottom is just sitting on concrete should I just caulk or use a sill seal at all? The basement floor is heated, I dont think there is a thermal break. just a cold joint at the stair bottom I wont know till I pull out the door.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:36 PM.