Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-29-2013, 04:19 PM   #1

Share |

need ideas

i am trying to make my little one a fantasy room and i see all these shows where they make disney rooms with big props. how do i buy those big props myself. like life size mermaid or plastic tree that is a little closet. stuff like that. saw some room that had a big rubber looking mushroom the size of the kid. any ideas other than submitting my name to hgtv lol....

enedinamaddison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:09 PM   #2
World's Tallest Midget

need ideas

My wife finds all sorts of cool stuff like that on Pintrest. Might be worth a look.

Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mort For This Useful Post:
enedinamaddison (04-29-2013)
Old 04-29-2013, 08:25 PM   #3

Wink

need ideas

thank you
enedinamaddison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:11 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

need ideas

For fun, you might do a Bing, Google, etc. search for movie or theater props and see what pops up. I know there are companies that salvage and rescue just such surplus things from old Broadway traveling shows, movies and so forth and then sell them for purposes like yours and for restaurants and things.

You might see if Disney, WB and all sell large props for kids bedrooms. I am sure they will be expensive.

Companies that build things for museums would be a good resource. We used Remo Saraceni who did lots of special effects for Epcot and is, perhaps, best known for the walk on piano he invented for the movie Big, for things for a Children's Museum. He loved working with private individuals. We also used a soft sculptural person for an inflatable dragon for the entryway.

Some sort of structure, mesh and fiberglass is a common material group for making large things if you are handy. Be careful though. Cured fiberglass edges can be razor sharp. Fabric covered foam can make soft squishy door frames and things. Paper mache with a reinforced coating can still work to a point.

You can wet and freeze foam to be able to cut it easily or use an electric wire type cutter. Be mindful of the fumes. There are inexpensive services that will laser cut just about anything for you.

Of course you can do a lot with paint, fabric and wood shapes. LED lights where you can program color are a wonderful addition to the arsenal for designing kid spaces.

You might pick up some books from the library (you might have the librarian special inter-library order for you) on set design for children's theater.

In designing the kids museum we tried not to be too literal and we left a lot of room for the kids to fill in the blanks. They loved the place. We were also mindful that they would grow out of it and you should be with the room too. Try to design in a way that will evolve as interests change.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote