Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-17-2011, 01:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 29

Need home plan disign software advise?

I need some good easy to use software. I do have an older version of HOME 3D ARCHITECT, which I would guess is obsolete and that there is better stuff out there???

Can anyone help with that and I will find an area to post this question in?

any help is greatly appreciated.

RUMBLON

RUMBLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:22 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

i have used two different versions of 3D home architect. i had to get a newer version due to compatibility issues with a new computer. other than that, there really was not enough difference (for my needs) in the versions to make it worth upgrading. i have also used a few other "similar" programs, which i did not like, but that may just be a personal preference.

1910NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:44 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I'm presently using "Punch! Home Design-Platinum" as I am completely finishing my basement and the software has been a great help. It is a complete home design suite and covers all aspects of foundation, framing, electrical, HVAC, decks, landscaping,etc. and has 3D "walk-thrus", etc. There is a learning curve but it will do everything. There is no real true "user friendly" design packages out there. The cheaper "easy" ones do not have the features to do any kind of real designing. That's my 2 cents.
virago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 03:22 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

After muddling through a bunch of the home programs and even a few versions of CAD software and being really frustrated---and tired of blowing $40-50 a pop? I found Sweet Home 3D. It is open source and free and there are extensive symbols sets you can download. It does everything I need for basic floorplans. I wouldn't use it for detailed drawings but it will get you permits. It has a very low learning curve too. It is billed as an interior design tool but it does decent drawings of walls, windows and things with standard architectural graphic elements.

http://www.sweethome3d.com/

Last edited by user1007; 05-18-2011 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Added URL
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote