Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-20-2012, 01:00 PM   #1

Share |

Need help with zip line

Purchased 90 foot zip line for my son. Do not have trees to attach. Was planning on buying 4x4x12 post from lowes and putting 4 foot in ground and having 8 foot above. Called manufactor of zip line and they said I need at least 12" diameter to attach to. Their experience is that 4x4 and 4x6 post will bend over time. My question is, if I attache 2 posts together, and then bury it in concrete, will that double the strength and keep the posts from bending...thanks

Jack121883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:49 PM   #2

Need help with zip line

No. And please check with your insurance company before proceeding. They may drop your coverage if you install a zip line on your property. That was quite common years ago when trampolines were all the rage.

md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:12 PM   #3

Need help with zip line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack121883 View Post
Purchased 90 foot zip line for my son. Do not have trees to attach. Was planning on buying 4x4x12 post from lowes and putting 4 foot in ground and having 8 foot above. Called manufactor of zip line and they said I need at least 12" diameter to attach to. Their experience is that 4x4 and 4x6 post will bend over time. My question is, if I attache 2 posts together, and then bury it in concrete, will that double the strength and keep the posts from bending...thanks
If I am reading your post correctly, are you suggesting to go against your manufacturer's instruction/recommendation?

Sorry, I can't help you much more...

Just be careful...
oodssoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:16 PM   #4
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Need help with zip line

4X4 is way too small, and using two of them is still not even close. If you want to build a suitable endpoint for the zip line using lumber (rather than heavy timber or a live tree) you will need to build some kind of frame. Three anchor points would be the minimum, I think, since you need rigidity in two directions. Planting a section of utility pole would probably be easier and cheaper, even if you contract a drilling company to make the hole.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:19 PM   #5

Need help with zip line

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpoulton
4X4 is way too small, and using two of them is still not even close. If you want to build a suitable endpoint for the zip line using lumber (rather than heavy timber or a live tree) you will need to build some kind of frame. Three anchor points would be the minimum, I think, since you need rigidity in two directions. Planting a section of utility pole would probably be easier and cheaper, even if you contract a drilling company to make the hole.
Exactly, I was just going to suggest a utility pole, should be plenty beefy enough
mterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:41 PM   #6

Need help with zip line

I suggest you return the zip line and buy your son a bicycle instead. Or an electric train. Even if your insurance company doesn't cancel you, your premium will surely go up just because of the liability.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:06 PM   #7

Need help with zip line

I say go for it and let natural selection run its course. Do you have any big pieces of fireworks you or your son can carry while zipping down the line?

B
Beepster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beepster For This Useful Post:
memarybe (12-21-2012)
Old 12-23-2012, 04:58 AM   #8

Need help with zip line

count me in as a supporter of natural selection, too,,, got to happen sometime,,, otherwise he'd know 4 x 4's are akin to matchsticks - unless he's an atty, of course no motorcycle helmets, either,,, show me where the world is a better place because of gary busey

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote