Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-09-2008, 10:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need Help! Wet basement floor???

I walked downstairs into the basement this evening onto a wet carpet??? I have lived in my home for the past year and have not had any problems before. There is an area about 3 in circumference in my finished basement that is soaking wet. Walls show no sign of wetness. Ceiling is not wet, only the floor is wet.

My thoughts are; my attached Garage has settled to the point that from the middle of the garage to the foundation wall is about a 3 difference. We have been getting a lot of snow here in Denver and even know I knock as much snow of the car before parking in the garage there is always a good amount of melting snow and water that runs toward the house.

Is it possible that the water has been pooling under the foundation and it is just now (two weeks since the first big snow) beginning to rise through the basement floor from some sort of hydro pressure? Tomorrow I am going to start parking the cars outside and see if the problem goes away. If this is the cause that what are my next steps? Can I mud jack the floor to have the water run away from the house and out the garage door?

If this in not the cause what else could it be? Thanks for the help.

JamoDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:23 PM   #2
ICF Construction

Rewards Points: 250

Sounds like you identified the problem, park the cars outside and squeegee all the water out of the garage. Once dry if your problem disappears, apply a good bead of quality caulking where the garage floor meets the foundation. THIS IS A TEMPORARY MEASURE. Once the weather improves have the floor repaired and makes sure the water runs out the doors as opposed to the foundation.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:14 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Tanks Chris. This afternoon it is beginning to dry so I do think that I identified the problem. The challenge is that caulk will not foll the 1 1/2 gap between the foundation and the foundation floor. There is also the expansion material between. I think I am stuck parking outside during storms which defeats the purpose of the garage unless there is another solution to filling the gap with another water tight solution.

Any suggestions???
JamoDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 12:27 AM   #4
ICF Construction

Rewards Points: 250

1 1/2"!!!! That's pretty severe, it can be caulked, gonna be expensive for a temp. fix. If you are parking outside and the weather looks like it could be favorable, get a bid to do the work now.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:56 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

You've got an attached garage which has settled 3 inches?!? And there's a 1.5" crack between the garage slab and the house foundation?

I'm no expert, but isn't that a problem of it's own? If it settled 3", how is the rest of the garage structure attached to the house?
NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:43 AM   #6

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,086

JamoDenver -

You may be correct about the garage drainage. It could be entering from under the slab and footing and going to the lowest floor area.

That 1 1/2" gap is usually a cheap moisture conrol measure commom to the Mid-atlantic area, some eastern areas and apparently where you are. It is not permitted by most codes now.

Usually, it collects water, which is carried away (sump or daylight drainage). If it is just acting like a dead collection area, you could use it to collect water for a newly installed sump and then pump the water away. - Just a thought without seeing everything.

Your slab is obviously not tied to your home foundation otherwise you would see interior foundation cracks and settlement. - Are you sure the one side of the slab settled or did the other side heave up? Do you have cracks or control joints in the garage slab? Denver is known for some strange soil problems.

concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote