Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-06-2012, 06:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

Need help - wall spreading

I need some guidance from my fellow DYI'ers. I noticed my exterior wall has a some spreading when I was framing up some interior walls. I confirmed this by holding a level up to several of the exterior wall studs. 1/4 of the bubble was beyond the vertical line. What is the best way to go about pulling the walls back in? Any in-sight, experiences would be greatly appreciated

Diamonddave952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:49 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 16

Spreading walls may be an indication of improper framing of the rafter ties. Typically, the walls are held in place by floor joists. In some cases, there are no floor joists (cathedral ceilings for example), in which case more complex techniques are required to prevent spreading, such as use of a ridge beam instead of a ridge board.

In all cases of suspected wall spreading, analysis starts by examining the structural mechanism in place to prevent the spreading. It is often necessary to open up a wall to determine exactly how the floor joists are connected to the rafters and the wall. I have seen cases where there were insufficient nails used, allowing the thrust forces generated by the rafters to tear the nails right through the floor joists at the connection.

Without photos and a detailed framing description, it is impossible to discuss this further, but if you post some pictures and perhaps a framing diagram we can move along.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:47 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 0

Daniel - Some additional information... The cabin was built in 1940 and basically a 24'x30' rectangle. The roof is 2x4 spaced 24"OC with 3 horizontal ties that span the 24' length. There is no sag in the roof as far as I can tell. I would like to post a picture but still trying to figure that out. It's not as easy as the insert image icon abov.e
Diamonddave952 is offline   Reply With Quote