Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-26-2009, 11:45 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Need help w/ wet basement,grading issue

Hello. I live in a house that was built in 1952 and just recently finished my basement. We have a very slight issue with water intrusion on 1 unfished wall, but only when it pours for days.I know the spot where it is leaking in from, and have determined that the grading along that side of my house needs a little work. Anther issue is that I've got about an 18in slab of concrete surrounding my house, and there is a crack along the foundation. When I correct the grading, should I install some sort of barrier over this slab, or just grade the dirt right over the concrete? Also should I use some sort of rock under the dirt when grading?

sjeffries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 03:30 PM   #2

Does your house have a weeping tile system going into a sump in the basement

joel v. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 03:43 PM   #3

No it doesn't(that I know of anyways). The basement ooks to have been poured after the house was built and the french drain put in at that time. Honestly, I don't know what a weeping tile system is. It could have 1 and I don't know what the heck I'm looking at.
sjeffries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:28 PM   #4

some call a ' french drain ' a weeping tile system, i think however drain tile or perforated pipe shouldda been installed at the toe of the footer - there's a regular system that can be placed which either'll lead to daylight OR to an exterior buried pump in a sump w/riser & hatch on top for access & pump replacement ease.

pouring a bsmt AFTER the house's blt is uncommon,,, your best bet's calling in a waterproofer -nawsc would be the best place to start imp.
yesitsconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:32 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 16

Where does your French drain lead to? Namely is there a dry well or a sump pump pit, or a gravity (downsloped) drain pipe to the surface (of course with more downslope) further from the house?

If your French drain is not getting rid of the water as opposed to just collecting it, you will need to do something such as add a sump pump.

Do the concrete pads agains the outside foundation collect water? I would be tempted to add a skim coat of concrete if needed to make water tend to drain away from the house prior to putting soil or a garden on top.

What people refer to as a French drain or as a weeping tile system is the same thing.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:53 AM   #6

appreciate the heads-up, allen,,, did this work for years & we pro's defined the weep tile as exterior toe/footer drain,,, then again, a ' french drain ' gets its definition from the paving blocks originally built at fountainbleu, fr.

a rose by any other name usually looks like a weed in my lawn

yesitsconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basement, flooding, grading, water intrusion