Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-06-2011, 10:52 PM   #1

Share |

Need Help from Vinyl Siding Experts

I was intending to reside my home with vinyl, but due to timing constraints, I hired a contractor. Although I've never installed siding, when I thought I was going to be doing it myself, I read alot about installation, and now that the contractors have started, i'm seeing things that seem questionable.

They installed starter strip, corner posts, and J channel around doors/windows on Friday. here are my concerns:

J Channel: On the vertical runs they didn't nail through the slots on the nailing flange. They drove nails in the channel attached to the window/door trim. This seems wrong on several levels to me, no ability for expansion/contraction, water penatration etc.. Can anyone tell me if there is any circumstance that would warrant this type of installation.

Corner posts: Nailed through slots, but some nails driven home, not allowing for expansion/contraction. Shouldn't corner posts be attached to provide for expansion contraction?

Vinyl Starter Strip: Most nails are through the slots on the flange, but there are some that were drive right through the flange not in a slot, thus eliminating the ability for this to expand/contract.

I'm going to be speaking to them on Monday about all of these items, but would love if someone with more knowledge than I could provide some insight, because seeing all of this has me really uneasy.

I did my homework picking this contractor. I got several estimates, and theirs wasn't low. These guys had good references, I saw several examples of their work which looked good etc etc..

I know this isn't exactly a DIY post, but I know there are some experts that monitor out here and would love a little help.

pkovo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:21 AM   #2

you are right to be concerned,tell them you want everything nailed like it says in the vsi manual

Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:29 AM   #3
Buying the first round

Approach the contractor and express your concerns about the installation.

You have every right to question someone you are paying with your hard earned money.

Installed properly, vinyl has a fighting chance to look good over time, other wise the sun will have it's fun.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:00 AM   #4
Mod

Here’s the manual Tom is referring too. You may want to print a selected page or two and have with you when you meet with the contractor.

http://www.vinylsiding.org/installation/manual/
Old 08-07-2011, 09:12 AM   #5
MJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIHR View Post
Approach the contractor and express your concerns about the installation.

You have every right to question someone you are paying with your hard earned money.

Installed properly, vinyl has a fighting chance to look good over time, other wise the sun will have it's fun.
Actually no. You have every right to ask and express your concerns, but you paid for a final product. The contractor will do the job so he can guarantee it.

Quality products won't contract/expand, fade, crack like the builder grade siding. IMO, should have at least a .044 panel.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:43 AM   #6

Thanks for all the feedback, truly appreciated. I have a copy of that manual. I'm one of those people that over researches everything so I lOoked that over when I started considering doing the job, just couldn't get the time to do it myself.

Siding is mastic quest, .046 double 5" 12' panels. The contractor is listed on the mastic site as being one of their top guys (forget the names they use) but that could just mean he sells a lot of their product for all I know.

I'm going to point out my concerns on Monday morning and see what they say. Some of he starter strips are only solidly nailed on one end so maybe they did it to control the direction of expansion, but seems the same could be done by nailing at the end of the slot.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:55 AM   #7
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkovo View Post

Siding is mastic quest, .046 double 5" 12' panels. The contractor is listed on the mastic site as being one of their top guys (forget the names they use) but that could just mean he sells a lot of their product for all I know.
He's one oi their top guys and doesn't install the product to their specifications whether he sells it or not he's still installing improperly. I would point out the mistakes and ask him why they are nailed like that. If he doesn't give you a hard time and says that he will take care of it that's great. If he does give you a hard time and some poor excuse, you will HAVE to tell him it's unacceptable and he has to do the job right by pulling all the nails out that are nailed incorrectly.

Have you paid him alot of money right now?
Tom Struble (08-07-2011)
Old 08-07-2011, 10:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJW View Post
Actually no. You have every right to ask and express your concerns, but you paid for a final product. The contractor will do the job so he can guarantee it.

Quality products won't contract/expand, fade, crack like the builder grade siding. IMO, should have at least a .044 panel.

b.s.

h.o has a right to have it installed to standard manufacturers instructions

guarantee...yea right

''quality'' products should get a ''quality'' install and they crack just as good

besides j,corners and starter usually are the exact same thru the entire siding line
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:24 AM   #9
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJW View Post

What siding product that you know of shows that you can nail directly through the j-channel and into the trim and also nail through the corners and starter strips? Forget saying that the contractor will do the job so that he can guarantee it. Since when can you nail home and through j-channels?
Old 08-07-2011, 10:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carola View Post
He's one oi their top guys and doesn't install the product to their specifications whether he sells it or not he's still installing improperly. I would point out the mistakes and ask him why they are nailed like that. If he doesn't give you a hard time and says that he will take care of it that's great. If he does give you a hard time and some poor excuse, you will HAVE to tell him it's unacceptable and he has to do the job right by pulling all the nails out that are nailed incorrectly.

Have you paid him alot of money right now?
Thanks. I put half down, other half to be paid upon completion to satisfaction. The job included tear off/removal of old aluminum, and install of typar with seams taped, which of course has been done already.

Ok, another question. If I ask them to remove te j channel and reinstall as per instructions, the pieces they have already installed now have holes in the channel. Should I demand they use new channel for this reason?

The bummer is that I took my time finding a "good" contractor. Got five estimates, got references, and now this. Such a let down.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:49 AM   #11
Buying the first round

Let's put this to bed for this guy.

Simply call the manufacture of the product and explain to the tech rep exactly what your concerns are. You will then hear from the horses mouth.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIHR View Post
Let's put this to bed for this guy.

Simply call the manufacture of the product and explain to the tech rep exactly what your concerns are. You will then hear from the horses mouth.
Thanks. I sent them an email asking if there is any cicumstance where installing j channel in this manner is acceptable right before I posted this. Would have called if it wasn't the weekend. I'll be calling them monday.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:04 AM   #13
MJW

Yep, you are all right. Nail them vertical J's and corner posts loose. See how long they stay up and in place. Usually installers put a couple nails in to hold the piece in place while the rest is nailed off. Although, on the panels themselves they better leave them loose or there will be truble. (just playin' Tom)

Sometimes it's a good thing to keep trim from expanding/contracting.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:51 AM   #14
Mod

I’ve always nailed J a little tighter than the siding on windows and doors and never had any problems. And always have one nail at the top of the slot on verticals especially corners to keep them from walking down the wall.

The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
MJW (08-08-2011)