Need Help With Underground Structure Terminologies - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2009, 07:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need help with underground structure terminologies

Hi everybody,

I'm new to this forum so please let me know if I'm doing something wrong. Also, English is not my native language so please bear with me .

My first question is as follows:

When you build a fairly large public under ground structure, such as a parking lot, or a shopping center, or an underground city, etc., there are 3 different types of area (the mathematical area) you need to talk about:

1) The street area that the structure occupies. Basically what the city has to give up in terms of streets, green space, sidewalks, etc. so that the structure can be built.

2) The floor area that each floor of the structure occupies.

3) The total area of the structure.

My question is, what are the terms, according to US construction terminologies, for the three types of area above? Also please tell me if different terms are used in another country.

Thank you.

Advertisement

Jubinell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 07:44 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Sounds like your in the wrong forum, you need to be in commercial, industrial forums somewhere.

Advertisement

SULTINI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:32 AM   #3
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubinell View Post
Hi everybody,

I'm new to this forum so please let me know if I'm doing something wrong. Also, English is not my native language so please bear with me .

My first question is as follows:

When you build a fairly large public under ground structure, such as a parking lot, or a shopping center, or an underground city, etc., there are 3 different types of area (the mathematical area) you need to talk about:

1) The street area that the structure occupies. Basically what the city has to give up in terms of streets, green space, sidewalks, etc. so that the structure can be built.
Generally referred to as "easement" areas.

2) The floor area that each floor of the structure occupies.
Often called "livable space", or just "X" level floor-plan

3) The total area of the structure.
Usually known as the "footprint" if referring to the space the building occupies on the total "plat". Otherwise, "Total Area" describes it well.

My question is, what are the terms, according to US construction terminologies, for the three types of area above? Also please tell me if different terms are used in another country.

Thank you.
These are only generic (and pretty general) terms. For engineering specific nomenclature, as the previous poster said, a more esoteric forum would probably provide better and more accurate terms.

By the way, your command of the English language seems to surpass that of a good percentage of us posting here.

THIS site works in reverse to what you might need, in that you need to input a term, not a query. But it may prove useful.

EDIT: You will likely see as this thread develops, Americans aren't too literal in many areas. The license we take in expressing similar substances or situations would violate almost every grammatical rule we know. I could point to a certain piece on a "blueprint" (really an incorrect term today, in itself), and easily have no less than three or four names suggested for it.

Last edited by Willie T; 12-02-2009 at 09:09 AM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:41 AM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

street area that a structure occupies... where did you ever see this as a reference. The area dedicated for utility access is an easement. The streets and sidewalks and green space is called "town owned " the area the house sits on is a "Lot" But this includes the easement but not town owned land.

each floor is the floor area. some may be defined as livable space others as utility or even future space.

The first floor area is the area that defines the footprint. this is the foundation dimensions but includes attached decks and patios. This has nothing to do with how many floors you have.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:16 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,458

1st off, NEVER ask questions we can't answer 1, footprint; 2, occupied space; & 3, total area

i'm w/willie,,, your english's great & better'n most who post here hope you can understand mine !
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:39 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubinell View Post
Jubinell, around here the city doesn't give up anything. They just take, take, take. Unless of course someone contributes enough to certain election campaigns. Therefore, I think this area would be called the "graft".

Advertisement

jogr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction , floor area , underground structure