Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-05-2013, 10:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Exclamation

NEED HELP!! Threshold fastener head snapping off in concrete for storefront door

I have a banquet hall and i'm doing some renovations to the place. I have to lower the threshold down b/c it's not to code as the code requires it be no more than a 1/2" elevation from the floor and the five doors that i have are all above that. (the building management will not take care of it). SO.. the fasteners they installed seem to be 4" tapcon screws (overkill). Most of them are seized in the concrete, I've already snapped 2 heads off and i'm at a loss as to how to take the stubborn SOBs out. I was able to take out one and it was pretty rusty. I need them out so i can reinstall the threshold in the same location and not have to make a hole at an incline as the screw head will most likely rip the door shoe rubber sweep i'm installing to close the gap that i'll create in lowering the threshold (also pretty sure the inspector wont like it). I need to know how to take out the fasteners without snapping them and to remove the ones that are snapped. Any information would extremely help. Thanks

Aleko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,348

NEED HELP!! Threshold fastener head snapping off in concrete for storefront door

Most likly that's not going to happen.
Got a picture or a website of the one your going to put in?
Most have to be cut to fit. Just figure out how to make the cuts so the new holes do not line up where the old ones where.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:18 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Most likly that's not going to happen.
Got a picture or a website of the one your going to put in?
Most have to be cut to fit. Just figure out how to make the cuts so the new holes do not line up where the old ones where.
No, no pictures. I'm not replacing just lowering the existing threshold. I also forgot the mention the concrete is level. The building was supposed to have tile on the outside but it was never done (don't know how it past inspection). That's why the threshold is elevated past code.
Aleko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:34 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,090

Joecaption is right. Don't reuse that threshold, replace it. Cut the new one so that the screw holes will be in a different location. Drill new holes. With the proper bit, drilling in concrete isn't that hard.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote