Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-06-2008, 02:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

need help in southeast usa SC

Hi I am new here so please excuse. I need to work on my crawlspace underneath my house. It is dirt and and uninsulated. I need to redo the HVAC lines to the vents and install dehumidifers. Can anyone point me to a good resource? I also need to lay plastic down. Any suggestions. I need to save as much money as possible but still do the job right.

bentjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:23 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Need more details.

Why do you need to redo the ducts to your vents?

Do you need to insulate it also?

Are you doing the work yourself?

Old 11-06-2008, 04:31 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

there are a couple of rooms in my house where it does not appear the ducts are hooked up or clogged or both. Basically I want to redo the complete underneath of my house. there is a musty odor to the house and I know the pipes underneath need insulation as there is none and same goes for the floor there is no insulation underneath also no ground covering or humidifiers. yes I will be doing the work myself. thanks for replying
bentjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:58 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

If you are replacing the ducts then this is a good time to balance your system if needed. This will get more air to rooms that are too cold/hot and allow air to move to other areas.

Information you will need.

BTU's of furnace, CFM of the fan in the furnace, current ducting size and size of each room they feed.

Draw a diagram of your house and write the measurements of each room. Write the size of the duct that is feeding each room. It would also be good to measure the size of the vent in the rooms as these can restrict flow.

With average rooms like a 10x12 a 7-8 inch feed is fine. A small bathroom can be a 5-6 inch and 6 inch for average bathrooms. An average living room should have two ducts of 7-8 inches each and the same with the average kitchen.

This assumes that the ceiling height is 8 feet or so. If there is a vaulted ceiling or large rooms it will require more ventilation.

Good planning will yield good results, save you money and will make sure it is done right. Bad planning will result in poor results and money wasted.

The plan should identify all the problems, solutions and steps to correct them in the most logical order.