Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-12-2010, 07:47 AM   #1

Share |

Need help with Shed Design

So I need to build a shed, I am thinking 12 x 12 or perhaps a little bigger (size could be varied, but want to keep around 150 -180 sq ft)
Unfortunately I have some very strict requirements in the housing area and I need some help designing something that will work.

Requirements in neighborhood per covenants

1) No more than 8 feet above grade (highest point on roof above ground level)

2) Must match house - i.e. vinyl siding and shingles - easy enough

and a couple things I need

3) Double doors so you can bring large things in them, like to maximize size if possible as I am over 6 foot and don't want to have to stoop all the time. I would love to just get standard doors to keep price down, but haven't figured out a good way to do the roof.

4) Reasonable pitch, location is Northern Iowa and get plenty of rain and snow.

Let's see your thoughts and ideas.

TANC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:42 AM   #2
the Musigician

IN town here, you need a permit for anything larger than 10x10, in the boonies, it's 10x20.
8' to peak???? that's a pretty SHORT shed!
i'd do a STRONG 12/4 pitch slanted roof.
the high end has the doors, of course.

DM

Old 01-12-2010, 08:56 AM   #3

At 8' to the peak & a 12' width that is a span of 6' to either side of roof
With a min 3/12 pitch that is 1.5' drop on either side
So the side walls will be ~6' tall allowing for 2x6 rafters & 1/2" roof sheathing

If a dry area (raised slope) I would consider digging out 1' for added height inside
I don't see a very big shed here, with 2x doors they may only be 6' high
Inside at the peak you would only have 7'6" clearance
3' out in each direction from peak that drops 9" = 6' 9"
Built correctly you may just get 6' 8" double doors in

This means pouring a slab to build the shed on
If you have to raise it up on blocks or 6x6 PT then build a floor it becomes too short to be of much use - you would loose almost a 1'

One reason I would never live in any area with such regulations
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:58 AM   #4

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

there is a classical way to get a non-standard shed approved in restricted areas.

1. Go 8' high PLUS the gable height. The shed roof pitch should match the house roof pitch.

2. The shingles must be the same color and pattern as the house shingles. The siding must match the house siding.

3. The location is also critical to minimize the visual impact.

My son built a 10x12 shed with 10' wall height plus gable height since you have more wall storage and still room for items on the flooor. There is world of difference in what you can with it. He tucked it in the ell behind the 3 car garage (proper spacing) and it almost unnoticeable and not stuck out in the yard somewhere and interfering with landscaping and activities.. - It flew right through the permitting because it looked good and fit in. Even the neighbors with the $500,000 homes did not complain.

Last edited by concretemasonry; 01-12-2010 at 09:01 AM.
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:26 AM   #5

I'd try to get 8 foot walls appproved. An 8' gable less a 2x6 rafter doesn't leave you much room for a sloped roof. If your house has soffet you'll want the shed to have it too. If the bottom of the soffet is lower than your head it's a safety issue.

If you end up with an 8' gable end with doors in it, then I'd consider site building the doors to follow the roof pitch on the edges. I'd also consider building 4 gables -- then you just have low corners, but at least you can walk to all four walls.

Here's another idea -- make a gambrell roof. I think they're ugly, but it will maximize your interior headroom -- and maybe dormers in the two side walls.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:37 PM   #6

I will go on the 8 foot wall height direction, see where i get

It's tricky because the subdivision developer wrote the covenants wrote the covenants, but since there is no housing association as far as he is concerned I have to get the permission of the city via a permit.
eddiemoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:43 PM   #7

Why the 2 different logins ?
Old 01-13-2010, 02:02 PM   #8

Scuba Dave, can you help? I created a new one because my old one wouldn't let me in. . .but now it is pulling for a cookie? or something and auto signing me in.
eddiemoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 02:22 PM   #9

Do you know the Eddie password ?
If you go to user CP I think you can reset it & update your E-mail adress
--EDIT DETAILS--

Let me know
Old 01-13-2010, 02:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiemoney View Post
I will go on the 8 foot wall height direction, see where i get

It's tricky because the subdivision developer wrote the covenants, but since there is no housing association as far as he is concerned I have to get the permission of the city via a permit.
Does the city care about the covenants? I bet in a lot of cases all the city cares about is that you follow the building code (and any property setbacks). Normally the only enforcement mechanism in covenants is for the homeowner's association (or possibly individual homeowners) to take you to court, but if the other homeowners don't care enough to even form an association you probably don't have a lot to worry about. Read everything carefully and see what someone could do if he didn't like your shed, and then find out if anyone actually cares.

I lived someplace with covenants and an association, but the association was pretty lax and people did all sorts of minor things that were violations of the covenants. But some other HOAs are really strict and will even ding you for stuff like leaving your curtains open (real case).
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 04:57 PM   #11

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

TANC -

Often a HOA has restrictions to maintain the property values. I lived in an are in Virginia where the HOA required square trash cans within the association limits. I thought it was stupid until I lost my illegal round one after a storm.

An HOA can easily override the local codes (the minimum you legally have to do to be kept out of jail), which are the minimum code requirements. It would be good if your community had more realistic requirements or a real HOA to preserve the property values.

It sounds like you have a dictatorial developer that just wants things right to unload the adjacent property.quickly before he bails out and changes his company name.

concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote