Need Help Securing Open Staircase - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-25-2014, 09:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need help securing open staircase

We're in the middle of renovations and my contractor has given up on trying to get the stairs solidly mounted.

It's a set of Misterstep Timber L/U 75 stairs from Italy, which it turns out are designed to be mounted on concrete.

In this case, they're installed very securely with through nuts and bolts at the top, and somewhat secure at the bottom with 3" bolts into the wood floor. The main problem is the side mount which provides lateral support by attaching to the wall with a very hefty bracket.

The main problem is the wall is about 2" of plaster, then double brick, so there's only a 3/4" piece of plywood in the wall for the screws to go into - and the screws work themselves loose pretty quickly with people going up and down. I'd post photos but I can't current post them.

I'm looking for some solutions to secure the stairs to the wall tightly and permanently. I was considering using PL on the bolts themselves to secure them in the plywood at least but I'm looking for the best option.

Any help appreciated!

Advertisement

fantasygoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 11:09 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 776

Some pictures of what you have would certainly help us give you some good suggestions. If the sideloading is really that much your best bet made to be drill completely through the break and use bolts with plates on the outside. As an alternative you may be able to drill into the bricks and epoxy bolts into them for more strength. It's going to be nearly impossible to attach firmly to that 3/4" plywood.

Advertisement

Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 11:31 PM   #3
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,834

If your stairs are like the one in this link I can see why it is tough to anchor.
http://www.misterstep.com/EN/product...-75-85-95.html

I would suggest a bolt installed in the end of the rail, and a hole drilled like already suggested, with epoxy.

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 09:37 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Would a sleeve with expoxy be enough to hold it or should I go all the way through the brick to the outside to secure it that way?

The brick is 100 years old so it tends to pulverize, which is why I can't use tapcons, so I worry that epoxy won't be enough.
fantasygoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 10:27 AM   #5
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,834

That is a tough one, I would not go all the way through the brick, if they are that crumbly I would be afraid to depend on just one for an anchor. I will keep thinking and hopefully someone else can come up with something.

The only other thing I can think of is a half post anchored to several of the brick but that may not be the look you are after.

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 10:31 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 776

I certainly agree with BJ that your description of the brick make the problem bigger. If they are that fragile I would be afraid that attaching an anchor point with epoxy into them may fail. I think Jim's idea of several short posts may be your only alternative short of an on-site consultation from a structural engineer.

Advertisement

Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote