Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-05-2008, 07:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

need help on repairing rotted deck support

Ok, so what I have is a cedar 6X6 support for my deck, the footing was poured right at ground level and after 18 years it is now rotted out.

So my question is how to best go about repairing it. I know the best solution would be to totally replace the support and pour a new taller footing, however I am of course looking for an easier (and cheaper) way out as replacing the whole support would involve replacing alot more, such as the handrailing as it is all connected and I know will not come apart easily:

So my question is, is there a way I can just cut off the last foot or so to get to a solid part of the support and splice in a new treated 6x6? I saw on another forum someone suggest a lap joint with a bolt through it, would that be OK? The other problem is that a cedar 6x6 is actually 6 inches whereas the treated 6x6 is 5.5 inches. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

ga1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

There are tons of ways to make this work.

There easiest would be to cut up to where there is good wood and then put in a pier block that is tall enough to support the column.

Make sure you put a support in there temporarily to support the deck. It has to be a very tight fit.

In the past I have used a few boards and make a lever and fulcrum to lift a structure like this. Also it really helps when you put in the new
support so there is no drop in the deck when you shove it under.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:07 PM   #3

Do you mean digging out the old pier and pouring a new one? I thought of that, and it's not out the question, but if I can avoid having to dig out the old pier, that would be great! Or by pier block do you mean something different like a concrete spacer? I was thinking I could leave the bracket on a the current pier and pour another, say foot tall pier on top of it, and the old bracket would keep the new pier from moving, but I wasn't sure if that would be strong enough.

Last edited by ga1990; 11-05-2008 at 08:17 PM.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga1990 View Post
Do you mean digging out the old pier and pouring a new one? I thought of that, and it's not out the question, but if I can avoid having to dig out the old pier, that would be great! Or by pier block do you mean something different like a concrete spacer? I was thinking I could leave the bracket on a the current pier and pour another, say foot tall pier on top of it, and the old bracket would keep the new pier from moving, but I wasn't sure if that would be strong enough.
The problem with that is that a pier block distributes weight. If it rests on something sharp then it could break with weight added.

I suggest that you just pull out the old one.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:07 PM   #5

So no other ideas that don't involve digging out the old pier?
Old 11-07-2008, 07:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga1990 View Post
So no other ideas that don't involve digging out the old pier?
Sell the house and find another one?

If you used a hammer to pound the old one to be as even as possible and then put a pier block over it and cut the post to size that might work. The key here is get it as even as you can.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:32 PM   #7
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

I have to agree about the pier block, I was thinking along those lines also, you could also go a little crazy by using cultured stone over block. but your way is simple and affordable. BOB

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote