Need Help With Remodel... - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-18-2011, 11:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need help with remodel...

First off, happy to have joined the forum been snooping around here for years, but finally have a home that we may buy and fix up. Attached are the pics, its 2100 sq ft including attic space which houses two bedrooms, so figure about 700 sq ft per floor. we'd like to do a 2 story addition to the rear doubling the size of the home which would include:

level 1 - full kitchen, family room, half bath
level 2 - full master with walk-in closet, bathroom, and laundry room

first question is any guess as to the dimensions of the home? and ballpark price of addition (assuming 700 sq ft per floor, 1,400 total addition)? I keep hearing $200 a square foot, but not sure how to use a single PPF when each floor is different, foundation/roof don't double by being two stories etc. We are okay using average to above average materials, we are open to using ceramic tile in baths, mid range appliances in the kitchen, etc....

We are in Columbus, OH, so average cost area.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

Advertisement

Last edited by MOD220; 12-18-2011 at 11:24 AM.
MOD220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:17 AM   #2

here are photos, she needs some work, but love the skeleton of the home...as an aside, ballpark to rip out concrete porch and canopy? thanks!

Advertisement

Last edited by MOD220; 12-27-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:05 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 664

You need to be talking to some local contractors.
WHy in the world would you want to remove that front porch and roof? It's one of the best fetures on the home and would look like a big box with out it.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
BigJim (12-18-2011)
Old 12-19-2011, 08:27 AM   #4
Contractor

Around my parts, New England, it would cost approximately $ 150.00 a sqft. But it all depends on what products you want installed. Always get 3 different prices and never go with the cheapest because if you are not an expert in reading estimates, you could get burned.
aureliconstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:02 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

$150-200 per square foot is the avergage range for New England. That general cost includes the foundation and roof costs.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:42 PM   #6

thanks guys. New England is certainly a more expensive part of the country than central Ohio, not sure why everyone here is quoting $200 when I read $100-150 in Michigan, and now $150/ft in NE area...
Old 12-19-2011, 09:11 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOD220 View Post
thanks guys. New England is certainly a more expensive part of the country than central Ohio, not sure why everyone here is quoting $200 when I read $100-150 in Michigan, and now $150/ft in NE area...
$200 isn't out of the question. Commercial work typically starts around $250/ft, so $200 is totally unreasonable for someone to quote when no scope has officially been defined. $150 here in NE is utilizing "typical" finishes and construction. Anything outside of "typical" carries a premium, bringing that $200 figure well within reason.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:05 AM   #8

got my first quote, came out to just under $300/ft! I think thats crazy for central Ohio...I went through th estimate and I think there is a lot of fat to cut out. framing costs were $32,000, isn't that typically $4-5/ft, so $8-10k? There is also $6k for exterior siding, when hardiplank is $1/ft., should be $2k tops, right?
Old 12-27-2011, 10:30 AM   #9
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,626

Boy....your project sounds like mine.....I'm in the middle of a 2-story addition right now. I'm doing most of the work myself, so, excluding the wife's over priced jacuzy tub, I'm looking at a finished cost of around $50-60 sq ft.

Sounds like you need more quotes........you also need a very detailed scope of work. A contractor can tell if you have no clue as to what your doing....in which case, he is going to pad it....not because he is necessarily trying to screw you (so do), but because he knows that he is going to have to deal with the "We don't like that, can we change it?" while construction is going on.

Case in point. When I built my garage, I had never done concrete work so I hired that part out. A 'good' contractor would have asked me up front if I wanted to take care of the excess dirt removal or have him. If I had known what I was doing, I would have asked him about it. So, when they were done digging the foundation to my garage, I had a huge pile of dirt in my yard....and I got all pissed off when he said he wouldn't do anything about it. Then I talked to a 'good' contractor who filled me in on that little detail. When I did the foundation for my house addition...I was prepared....and ended up using 2 roll off's to haul the dirt away.....

So now, with 1st quote in hand, you have an idea of the stages. Foundation, framing, outside walls, windows/doors, roof, plumbing, electrical and drywall. I'm going to assume your doing all the detail finishing yourself.

Do you have detailed plans yet? That could be part of the problem. Without it, the contractor is having to make lots of assumptions....and of course he is going to pad.

Regarding architects.....I have heard two schools of thought on this....first off, you need one. I 'was' going to do my own plans for my house and then just have an engineer sign off on the calcs.....I was WAY in over my head. Best money I paid was for my architect...guy swung a hammer before he became an architect/engineer. Knows what he is doing....like spec'ing 1 1/8" T&G for the 2nd story floor....stuff is heavy...but you would think your walking on a slab...no creaks in my house baby....

So...back on topic....architect...some say, use the one the contractor says to use...they have a working relationship and you usually get a better price. Others say, don't do that...use an independant....he will look out for your interests in case the builder tries to take short cuts.

Getting the above right up front is one of the keys to haveing a sucessful project. If the contractor does not really care either way...chances are he is a stand up guy....if he is pretty insistant on using his own guy....find another contractor.

Good luck....keep us posted.......and if you want to see how my project is going....click on the link in my signature.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Boy....your project sounds like mine.....I'm in the middle of a 2-story addition right now. I'm doing most of the work myself, so, excluding the wife's over priced jacuzy tub, I'm looking at a finished cost of around $50-60 sq ft.

Sounds like you need more quotes........you also need a very detailed scope of work. A contractor can tell if you have no clue as to what your doing....in which case, he is going to pad it....not because he is necessarily trying to screw you (so do), but because he knows that he is going to have to deal with the "We don't like that, can we change it?" while construction is going on.

Case in point. When I built my garage, I had never done concrete work so I hired that part out. A 'good' contractor would have asked me up front if I wanted to take care of the excess dirt removal or have him. If I had known what I was doing, I would have asked him about it. So, when they were done digging the foundation to my garage, I had a huge pile of dirt in my yard....and I got all pissed off when he said he wouldn't do anything about it. Then I talked to a 'good' contractor who filled me in on that little detail. When I did the foundation for my house addition...I was prepared....and ended up using 2 roll off's to haul the dirt away.....

So now, with 1st quote in hand, you have an idea of the stages. Foundation, framing, outside walls, windows/doors, roof, plumbing, electrical and drywall. I'm going to assume your doing all the detail finishing yourself.

Do you have detailed plans yet? That could be part of the problem. Without it, the contractor is having to make lots of assumptions....and of course he is going to pad.

Regarding architects.....I have heard two schools of thought on this....first off, you need one. I 'was' going to do my own plans for my house and then just have an engineer sign off on the calcs.....I was WAY in over my head. Best money I paid was for my architect...guy swung a hammer before he became an architect/engineer. Knows what he is doing....like spec'ing 1 1/8" T&G for the 2nd story floor....stuff is heavy...but you would think your walking on a slab...no creaks in my house baby....

So...back on topic....architect...some say, use the one the contractor says to use...they have a working relationship and you usually get a better price. Others say, don't do that...use an independant....he will look out for your interests in case the builder tries to take short cuts.

Getting the above right up front is one of the keys to haveing a sucessful project. If the contractor does not really care either way...chances are he is a stand up guy....if he is pretty insistant on using his own guy....find another contractor.

Good luck....keep us posted.......and if you want to see how my project is going....click on the link in my signature.
Thanks! I grew up in So Cal myself (Irvine), so I don't expect to pay more here in Ohio than I would back home, thats why we moved here!

A family friend back home is an amazing architect, has done $25M+ homes in the coastal cities. He has offered to do my house for free, only concern is being out of state and so far from project?

as far as costs, I have attached a file which was a preliminary estimate. the contractor said without details this is just average based on similar jobs (2 story x 650 square foot addition). I quickly reduced by $100k when looking at comparibles from other people, some of the numbers are insane.

as far as finishes (cabinetry, tile, hardware, etc) we have that covered on our own through family and friends. I really just want a GC to do the shell (foundation, walls, roofing) and probably internals (electrical, plumbing, HVAC) since that will go in with shell construction.

I'll be following your build, best of luck!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Estimate 1.pdf (64.8 KB, 41 views)

Advertisement