Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-01-2007, 09:33 AM   #1

Share |

Need help! Plumbing and Bathroom Relocation

I'm considering buying this new home but the master bathroom is way out of whack. It's teeny tiny, but the two side by side walk in closets are huge. The builder's previous floorplans have the bathroom built small, while the new floorplans have the bathrooms located where the two walk in closets are.

My question is, how hard or costly is it to have someone relocate the 2nd floor master bath? The basement is NOT finished. That would mean running hot and cold water supply lines and installing drain lines for the bath tub, shower, 2 sinks, and toilet. Add a window. Also, the current master bath will need to be converted into a closet.

Please look at the link below, and click on the 2nd floor floor plan. On this plan, the layout is how we want it.

Currently, bath 1 is located where the actual 2 master closets are located, and the 2 master closets take up the space where bath 1 is located. There is a drain line directly below where the basement is located, so I do not think the basement floor will need to be jackhammered to run a new drain line. All drain lines from the newly located master bath may need to be channeled into this drain line.

House is built by a company called New Dimensions and is headquartered in Manassas, VA

http://www.newdimensionsinc.com/Web_...&Submit=Search
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 10:01 PM   #2
Kyle Emerick

Need help! Plumbing and Bathroom Relocation

That is really hard to tell based upon where you live and who you pick to do the job. My guess is $25k but that could easiliy go up or down by $10k or more.. it all depends on so many factors.

I would do what I did, have rough plans ready of the before and after states and have some local contractors give you some bids based upon them. Don't just get a couple. I got about 10 and the varied between $80k and $350k.

I did mine in Punch! Its got a learning curve like PhotoShop but it is manageble. You dont have to be as anal as I was, even a simple sketch on paper with a pencil can suffice in getting the message across to a contractor. Believe me, some of them need to be spoon fed the info...

Here is mine before: http://www.emerickdesigns.com/media/...target327.html

Here is mine after: http://www.emerickdesigns.com/media/...l/target2.html

Ask away if you have questions for me as I am right at the end of my remodel and have learned a mountian of information.