Need Help With Patio Cover Supports - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-02-2007, 04:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need help with patio cover supports

I am installing a patio cover from dense shade cloth use a guy wire system. The cloth is to cover an are 13'x22'. I am using 1/4" galvanized steel rope with the normal hardware to bring it taught, unfortunately my redwood posts tend to bend quite a bit under the load. As I do not want to break the posts, or make them look like an archer's bow, I am unable to get the desired tension on the cables. I'm afraid without the necessary tension the wind will just take my shade cover for a ride.

My question is this, what other kinds of posts could I use that would be able to take the load? The posts will be around 8' out of the ground with the wires pulling towards the house at the tops via an eye bolt.

Please someone help me.

Advertisement

alexfosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 04:27 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

6x6 or even 8x8 would probably do the trick... But they have to be set INTO the concrete at LEAST 3-4' and I would look at a hole at least 24" in diameter. This should help hold the tension.

However that size of redwood will cost a good penny... 6x6x8 rdwd for me is over $100 ea.

Advertisement

robertcdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 04:57 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I had thought of going bigger but it wouldn't fit with the look of the yard. What about going with a different material all together? I have been thinking of using thick walled steel pipe and setting it into cement at least 3 feet down, but I don't know if that will solve the problem or not. I could also fill the tube with cement to provide extra support.
alexfosse is offline   Reply With Quote