Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-14-2007, 10:10 PM   #1

Share |

Need help with new website

I am a builder and a webmaster and I just built a new site. I was wondering if anyone would be interested in writing some articles on home improvement or submitting their work in exchange for publishing credit and links.

Thanks

Brad

http://www.need2build.com

timeforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 10:42 AM   #2
Handyguy

Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

Yes, you DO need content. Fair idea for a site but its been done already. There are MANY resources with tons of content like yours needs. I would think the only way to get off the ground would be to have a staff of editors and writers build a fairly comprehensive content library BEFORE you release it to the world. Thats old school, I know.

To be more organic maybe a wilkipedia type aproach to DIY topics would work better. I see you just joined this forum. I did last week. I have since contributed a fair amount here. I have also contributed a lot on woodnet and in the past in newsgroups. What happens is the same stuff gets answered over and over again. The forum searches do not cut it often or they are not used.

Maybe a smart forum would work. I'm just thinking off the top of my head.... A user posts a question, their post gets through but they are also presented with a series of links to previous related posts or to wilkepedia type content. They can then confirm that their question is related and it gets 'attached' to the article. The users specific situation can be discussed in context of the more broad topic.

Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 10:38 AM   #3

Wow! It's very impressive and ambitious. You've got a great start, I would say. You've set a pretty high bar. I just wonder: what is the ultimate goal for your site? Increase your business? Fill a need for builders? Serve as a "customer service" resource to help educate clients and clientele? Personal satisfaction? Channel Bob Vila? I think this would be influence the approach you take to content. If you develop fully the framework you have, it seems like a full-time job for multiple staff. I like Brik's ideas and agree with his observations. I think there might be a niche that's attractive, and maybe understanding the specific purpose would help suggest specific content ideas for potential contributors.

We have just been thinking this through at http://www.creative-eye-studio.com . We are wanting to create a good "resources" section. We sell products and services in the Green Building arena in Sacramento. We are excited about Green Building, and tempted to build an "all about" resource. But there is a TON of info out there on the subject. So we are determined, or resigned, to make it narrower and more relevant to our specific goals, which are more local and immediate.
creative-eye is offline   Reply With Quote