Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-28-2011, 09:27 PM   #1

Share |

Need help with lattice

We want to add lattice around the whole house. I need suggestions....... Would you paint the lattice the same color as the porch? If so, would you paint the poured wall as well? Would you paint the columns brown like the porch or would you rock them first? If rocking, would you just rock the front/paint sides or rock at least three sides? Anyone that has experience or suggestions please advise.

Last edited by Ineedhelp2009; 05-28-2011 at 09:31 PM.
Ineedhelp2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:26 PM   #2

Need help with lattice

You might find that, that much lattice to be a little busy, visually.
By "rocking", do you mean sheetrocking or a veneer stone application?
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:36 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Need help with lattice

I would personally leave it as is. Add nothing to the bottom.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:38 PM   #4

Need help with lattice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
You might find that, that much lattice to be a little busy, visually.
By "rocking", do you mean sheetrocking or a veneer stone application?
Ron
I agree, wifey has been talking about it for a year. This is the back of the house, the far right is 7' from the ground. The front is completed covered with bushes. Fortunately the sides are not so far from the ground: 3-4'. But... I have 5 stair entries to the porch, you can see how far out they go as well. I'm little concerned about that too.

Sorry, Sheetrocking yes, some sore of veneer stone.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:40 PM   #5

Need help with lattice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
I would personally leave it as is. Add nothing to the bottom.
That's where i'm at I suggested to my wife we stain the columns and foundation walls to match the porch.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:35 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Need help with lattice

Tell the wife to quit watching DIY, HGTV, and TLC. You could try staining some concrete or Durrock to see how it looks, before taking the time to do the columns. Personally, it looks fine as it is to me, there is no need to change it, other than do something with that walkway. Maybe look at some rose bushes, or bluestone with some other type of perennials to dress it up.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:44 AM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Need help with lattice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Tell the wife to quit watching DIY, HGTV, and TLC. You could try staining some concrete or Durrock to see how it looks, before taking the time to do the columns. Personally, it looks fine as it is to me, there is no need to change it, other than do something with that walkway. Maybe look at some rose bushes, or bluestone with some other type of perennials to dress it up.
You are not getting any are you with censorship talk like that.

I would take a good crisp digital image of the house. Teach the spouse how to mask it off in one of the virtual paint programs from the major paint companies and let her try out infinite color combinations.

I despise lattice under porches and it is the first thing that used to go in the dumpster on my projects. It's brittle and the animals it is supposed to hold out just laugh and live behind it with sexual habits we cannot talk about here and smoking cigs afterward.

Lattice is also high maintenance. You will always be painting and staining it, replacing or gluing sections the last storm got and constantly fitting it in place.

I think it destroys the nice lines and bone structure of a house. It does not look solid and load bearing so wrapped around the foundation of a home? It just has always seemed out of place to me. All criss-crossed and so forth too.

I am not anti lattice and a client paid me handsomely to restore a beautiful antique fence that had lattice running along the top between posts with finials and well crafted circles mad of lattice in all the gates. It's light and airy seemed to fit an look nice in that situation though.

You have a really nice looking home. I would not clutter it up and ruin the look with lattice around the base. Which again, will be busted lattice in a few months until the wife rides you to replace, prime and paint the repair.

I may have to hunt you down and kill you you if you over do the design on the posts as well. Do not faux finish them with stone as seen on "Design on a Dime" or whatever.

You could trim out those posts a bit I guess but I would just leave the house alone until you are sure what you want to do.

Trust me, she will love the virtual painting programs. I do and use them all the time even for picking paint to paint vehicles.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
mustangmike3789 (05-29-2011)
Old 05-29-2011, 07:05 AM   #8
Mod

Need help with lattice

I’d cover it all, get rid of that ugly concrete. I’d get creative with some custom cedar fence panels with some sort of raised detail turning it into a focal point. It’s a beautiful house you shouldn’t be looking at all of that concrete.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:09 AM   #9
NACE Coating Inspector

Need help with lattice

nothings says, i want my house to have that mobile home look more than lattice. you could go with the vertical vinyl soffit look too. lattice has its place but imo this isnt one of them.
mustangmike3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:53 AM   #10
KemoSabe

Need help with lattice

Opinions vary, but if done tastefully, lattice can be a nice feature. Landscaping makes all the difference in the world.
Attached Thumbnails
Need help with lattice-040.jpg   Need help with lattice-010-6.jpg   Need help with lattice-044-4.jpg  
Old 05-29-2011, 09:06 AM   #11
Retired from the grind

Need help with lattice

Looking at the picture does not do it justice, but as it is, I would do dressing along the walkways, and maybe a border under the porch, but putting up lattice always looks cheap. My wife has stopped watching the home shows on the channels as mentioned, with the exception of Yard Crashers & Holmes. I cringe when I watch the majority of the shows, because of most of the stuff is overkill, and beyond being able to be maintained with regular maintenance.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:15 AM   #12
KemoSabe

Need help with lattice

vinyl lattice has about as much maintenance as a quick squirt with a hose end sprayer and some surfactant. Maybe a quick scrub with a bristle brush.

I prefer the square privacy lattice as opposed to the diamond pattern. The framing can be laid out to be hidden behind the vertical slats. Overlaying PVC trim allows endless options, such as arches and creative corner details. Hinged panels can also be incorporated for hidden access to underneath.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:29 AM   #13
Retired from the grind

Need help with lattice

That is different than trying to mask a eight foot by twelve foot section. Really need some more pictures of the area, and using a landscaping program may help to show how to mask the lower portion, but still leave it open and not so obtrusive. Another mention, is that once you put up lattice under the porch, then it becomes a place to ditch crap that you have no place else for it to go.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:43 AM   #14
Custom Home Builder

Need help with lattice

Quote:
Originally Posted by loneframer View Post
vinyl lattice has about as much maintenance as a quick squirt with a hose end sprayer and some surfactant. Maybe a quick scrub with a bristle brush.

I prefer the square privacy lattice as opposed to the diamond pattern. The framing can be laid out to be hidden behind the vertical slats. Overlaying PVC trim allows endless options, such as arches and creative corner details. Hinged panels can also be incorporated for hidden access to underneath.
I don't think these boys know that vinyl lattice is available. Seem to be arguing over wood.
Wood is good but vinyl is final.
Vinyl lattice with pvc done the right way looks real nice (see Lone photos). I do alot of it on LBI. Comes in different colors too so doesn't have to be white.
Need contrast. White would be way too much. Could offset very nicely with the right color.
If privacy used (which I totally prefer) then foundation should "disappear". But could paint, if not sure.
Definitely would do cultured stone on the columns.

Beautiful home, by the way!
What the hell am I doing wrong?
Oh, that's right, I have 3 in college and a wife.
thomasjmarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:38 AM   #15

Need help with lattice

Quote:
Originally Posted by loneframer View Post
Opinions vary, but if done tastefully, lattice can be a nice feature. Landscaping makes all the difference in the world.

agreed, all the above photos look great. You see my yard. It would need a lot prior to making it look decent.