DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Building & Construction (
-   -   Need help identifying something (

MrFiksit 11-14-2012 12:23 AM

Need help identifying something
1 Attachment(s)
I could not find an appropriate forum, and this seemed like the best choice.

This is sort of an unusual request, but it is extremely important that I find out what these are and where I can get them in large or semi large quantities.

Below is an image of what looks to be some sort of flange, or metal bushing. I don't believe it's copper because it weighs a bit too much for that. It might be some sort of plated metal, but the type of metal does not matter. I need something just like these. They can be made of ANY type of metal, but they need to me metal.

Does anyone have a clue what these might be? This is driving me absolutely nuts and it's VERY important that I find out where to get them.

As you can see, one of them is dual sided. The other one has just one flange side.

If it helps at all, these are going to be for springs. The springs will be seated onto the flange so that the spring does not move during up and down movement. If there was no "lip" on it, it could move side to side and I don't want that.

hand drive 11-14-2012 08:13 AM

I've seen them before but drawing a blank as to what they are, some type of machine hub looking spindle type separator. you should be able to find them in the plumbing or the heat and gas section... it kind of looks like a ball cock valve in a way where the little ball lands on the hole in the middle to stop flow and then when the pressure is reversed the ball moves off the hole..

joecaption 11-14-2012 08:28 AM

Looks like a burnishing roller or form roller.
The ones in this picture are super hard and would hold up a long time.
There would be no making the hole in the middle bigger, there bored to size before heat treating.

There made for machines to do jobs like forming the tops of cans like food comes in for example.

Depending on the quantys there may be other choices.

joed 11-14-2012 08:30 AM

google 'steel bushing' and click images. you will see a bunch of them.
Here is one set from a motorcycle shop for foot pedals.

MrFiksit 11-14-2012 12:17 PM

I did a google search last night and came up with nothing. Perhaps my skills with google aren't what I thought, lol.

Thanks for all the suggestions. If anyone else can help out, I'd appreciate it.

Those bushings from a motorcycle shop look like just what I am looking for.

lewisthepilgrim 11-14-2012 01:46 PM

fishing weight?

MrFiksit 11-14-2012 01:50 PM


Originally Posted by lewisthepilgrim (Post 1052048)
fishing weight?

I don't believe it's a fishing weight, although I could be wrong. I found out that the bushings I have are self lubricating, meaning that they were oil injected during manufacturing.

I did a better google search for T-bushings and came up with good results.

Also, I hear that wood workers use these things as cutting guides or something like that. Perhaps I need to visit a wood working shop...

joed 11-14-2012 06:43 PM

They don't have to come from a motorcycle shop. The ones I found just happen come from there.
Other terms that might help a search are 'shoulder bushing' or 'shoulder washer'.

MrFiksit 11-14-2012 07:12 PM


Originally Posted by joed (Post 1052225)
They don't have to come from a motorcycle shop. The ones I found just happen come from there.
Other terms that might help a search are 'shoulder bushing' or 'shoulder washer'.

Yes, I know. I found a TON of them when I searched for "double T-Bushing shaper cutter".

I appreciate all of the suggestions. Thanks!

atljar 11-14-2012 08:55 PM

Google search "valve spring retainer". Not exactly the same part you pictured, but they use them on cars for the exact thing you mentioned, keeping springs aligned and in place. Sizes are endless.

joed 11-14-2012 09:11 PM

There is also flanged bronze bushings that come in almost any size ID or OD|~

MrFiksit 11-15-2012 12:15 AM


Originally Posted by joed (Post 1052313)
There is also flanged bronze bushings that come in almost any size ID or OD|~

Wow, this place completely escaped me. Thanks for showing that to me. Unfortunately, the bore size on one of them is rather small, so I'll need to look carefully for that one.

ddawg16 11-15-2012 12:30 AM

For the most part, that is a bushing. It's primary purpose is to center 'something' (typically a rod) through a hole. In almost all cases, they are a custom part (more or less).

MrFiksit 11-15-2012 12:39 AM

I have found a couple of places that sell the double sided T-Bushing rather cheap. I am now on the hunt for the part that is laying flat (in my original image above). That is going to be the hardest to find, unfortunately because the bore size is so small (1/4 inch). The outer diameter is 11/16 inch and the overall diameter is 1 inch. That makes this bushing quite unique.

I have sent a couple of emails out to special tool companies to see what they can find for me. If they can find anything at all.

If any of you come across something with the dimensions I just mentioned, please give me a hollar!

redman88 11-15-2012 01:02 AM

and Fastenal
they should come up with something

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:21 PM.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.