Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-26-2010, 05:51 AM   #1

Share |

Need help exterior wall insulation vapor barrier??

I the middle here and need a quick answer. Not sure of the type of framing but my exterior studs go down past the floor joints. So basically in each stud bay there are pockets. They only go down to the bottom of the joists. Should I run the vapor kraft faced down there too or unfaced? Or does ot not matter. Not sure if the paper face should go down there because it butts up against the joists? Any info?

gregt848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:28 PM   #2

I can't quite picture your scenario, but IF your area requires a vapor barrier, and that is Question #1, then it should be on any wall exposed to outside air. Against dirt, that is another issue. Be sure to block AIR movement before getting too excited about vapor (and, of course, keep the humidity w/in reason in the house).

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:44 AM   #3

Well, its balloon framing so the exterior studs run all the way down. The floor joists are run next to then. So in each stud bay on the sides of the house there are pockets., say 8" deep. I filled with insulation and have the vapor barrier on the walls down to twhere the floor starts but not sure if I need the vapor barrier in that cavity. The side of the floor joist are against those studs. Kind of hard to explain, any input?
gregt848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:51 PM   #4

anything exposed directly to outside air needs vapor control (vapor retarder paint, etc, OR a vapor barrier). if the wall is exposed to dirt, then an air barrier is necessary but a vapor barrier may do more harm than good, as the wall will not ever be able to breathe to the outside or the inside. it is usually best to have it breathe in one or two directions. usually, zone 7 and 8 (very cold) require a vapor barrier.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote