Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-11-2008, 12:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

NEED HELP - Drywall

Ok so hello guys im in a big mess right now. I am doing my first drywall job ever. I had to cut a trim in a room that was about 3 feet from the top of the room all around.

I did my taping and the next day I put the mud in like this

Now unfortunately I thought that you left it like that and then come back to sand it. Mine is about twice as thick as that , It is now day 7 and I am going to see if it is all dry so I can just sand it.

Any suggestions? Will sanding it make it look nice n flush or will I have to tape again?

fresco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 02:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

NEED HELP - Drywall

Yikes, you put the mud on WAY too thick. Ideally what you want to do is put on 3-4 coats paper thin, and then feather each edge out a little wider than the last so that it smoothly blends the differences out so you can't really see them.

If your mud is dry, I'd first attack it with a metal drywall knife, probably 6" across, and see if you can knock some of the really thick stuff off. After that you'll probably have to sand it and see how it looks. You may end up needed to apply some more mud to feather it though.

Do a google search for drywall taping and there will be tons of links.

Eric

perpetual98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 03:07 PM   #3
Building and plumbing

Rewards Points: 150

NEED HELP - Drywall

taping is a long drawn out practice makes perfect. There are a lot of tricks that pros use to simplify things. Usually when you tape you place mud on the seam, lay in the tape, push the tape firmly into the mud with a blade smushing out the excess, then recoat using a wider that the tape blade and get somewhat smooth. Then let dry, sand off the humps, not smooth, just knock down the humps. Then using a 10 to16 inch wide blade start to place mud on both sides of the joint. let dry. Again do not sand down, just sand off the high spots, repeat again and this tome sand so as to feather the edges in. Done. What you appear to have may be able to be sanded. I dont know how much mud is over the tape. If you see that you hit tape while sanding STOP and apply more mud.
USP45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 03:08 PM   #4
Building and plumbing

Rewards Points: 150

NEED HELP - Drywall

Another trick to hiding bad taping is to paint with a flat paint as high gloss acts like a mirror exposing all the flaws
USP45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 03:18 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

NEED HELP - Drywall

If all else fails, a nice textured wall would look great.

Just kidding. I'm certain that you can get it to look good. Here is a website that has great information on taping for beginners.

www.drywallinfo.com
They have really good instructions. Also, www.drywallschool.com is another good one with videos. Unfortunately, you didn't look into it first, but not to worry, it will look great. Just some patience and practice.
yummy mummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 04:48 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

NEED HELP - Drywall

If you want to remove lots of mud, just get a drywall rasp. It will cut through that in no time, and then you can try again. WAY faster than sanding, and less mess.
jdelisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 06:59 PM   #7
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

NEED HELP - Drywall

YIKES!....ever consider a stucco-type finish, instead of smooth?
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 09:26 PM   #8

NEED HELP - Drywall

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
YIKES!....ever consider a stucco-type finish, instead of smooth?
You can file your nails as you walk near it.
yummy mummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 08:06 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 500

NEED HELP - Drywall

I would suggest you find a small area that is not very noticable and practice a bit before trying this again.Without a rasp or a small sander you will be forever trying to get that down to a workable surface
clasact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 08:55 AM   #10

NEED HELP - Drywall

Belt sander? Just kidding. Most of the ridges should knock down with a drywall knife and sanding screens should take care of the rest.

jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote