Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-10-2008, 01:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need help with a deck to support a new spa!

The deck needs to be 8'x8' and capable of supporting 5,383 lbs of spa plus six adults, so figure 6,400 lbs max. Location is on a slight grade--the back of the spa will sit about 6" higher grade than the front, which is why I think the deck is a better idea than a slab, which would required too much concrete to keep it above grade and level.

Can anyone provide some guidance as to depth of footings, spacing, and meterails for a spa deck? This is for support only, looks don't matter (I'll build the pretty one as a walk around later). Can I use PT lumber, or do I need expensive redwood? I'm in coastal California, so frost isn't an issue.

Thanks!

kellymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 04:06 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Just use LOTS of these

PT wood is fine..

ehoez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 04:24 PM   #3

I just designed a 22' x 26' deck where one corner will eventually hold a spa/hot tub. The design uses 6x6 posts on 6' centers for the basic deck construction. The beams, that will be rest on the notches in the posts, will be sandwiched - 2 per post. The area of the deck that will eventually be used for the hot tub has 2 additional posts between - making a rectangle - 3' x 6' what has 6 posts. This rectangle, when the hot tub is installed will have 8) 2x10's - creating 2) 2x10 beams in one direction and 2) 2x10 beams perpendicular and under the other 2) 2x10's - I know how confusing that sounds - sorry - I guess a drawing would help - let me know if this makes sense. I sometimes over engineer - it's easier than starting over - sometimes.
Scott
www.handymacimprovements.com
HandyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 12:55 PM   #4

Ehoez, thanks for the photos. My challenge will be to keep them on plane since I'm on a slight grade.

HandyMac, I think I'm getting the picture, although I'm a little confused on how you're sandwiching the beams to the posts. I assume you're notching each side of the post, creating a ledge for the beams to rest on, then lagging through to the posts? This would create a 4" or so distance between the beams along their run?

Since it's such a small deck I think overegineering is a good idea, and I like doubling up the beams. How deep do I need to go for the footings? Can I just set peers on the dirt as in Ehoez' photos?
Old 06-11-2008, 06:39 PM   #5

Hey KellyMac,

Yes, I would notch both sides of a 6x6 post. The gap left between the beams is 2 1/2". As far as using concrete piers - I choose not to - but just personal preference. The area for the hot tub has 2 sets of beams running perpendicular and under the to the others for the deck.

I sink my posts in the ground and add concrete. As far as the depth it depends on where you live and the soil they are being sunk into. When I was up north my posts were sunk in 4' deep - here in the south I sink them around 2' - we have a lot of clay here and that makes a difference. I hope I am helping and not just making it more confusing for you.

Scott
HandyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 01:32 AM   #6

Scott,

I think I got the picture. I like the double beam idea. The soil out here is pretty sturdy--I'm not going to dig 4' unless I'm disposing of a body--so Ill start digging my 2' holes this weekend.

Keep an eye on the forum. If you see a post titled "need help saving a sinking spa," you'll know things didn't go so well.

Best regards,

Kelly