Need Help With Deck Building - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Poll: What type of decking should I use?
Poll Options
What type of decking should I use?

Old 06-29-2010, 10:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need help with deck building

Hi I am new to the forum, seeking advice!

I am about to build a deck and it will be 31'6" by 16'. I plan to use 2x10's 12" OC because I will be using 5/4 x 6" trex on a 45 and it needs closer joist spacing for the span of the decking boards. I was thinking to put the girder 16" from the end of the deck cutting the joist span down to 14' 6". I want to use a double 2 x 10 girder beam supported by 6x6 posts 16" from the ends of the girder and probably space about 6' apart.

The deck on one end is about 30" off the ground and the other end is pretty much on the ground. So my issue is I can get a 2x10 joist on the highest side of the deck but it will be basically on the ground, I can't get a double 2x10 girder beam under it for support. I'm trying to find another way to support it or will I just have to do a lot of dirt excavating? I'm sure ideally I should be using double 2 x 12's I believe but instead I am just putting more posts to decrease girder span.

I hope I had given an apt description. I appreciate any help! Also if any of this sounds bad or wrong please let me know. I am an electrician!

Advertisement

Last edited by l0gik; 06-29-2010 at 12:01 PM.
l0gik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 11:05 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Where are you located ?

Have you researched the Trex material ?
Do a search on this site for Trex & read the reviews/experiences

Advertisement

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 11:25 AM   #3

I am in Georgia so we have plenty of rain, trees and humidity. Perfect environment for mold and mildew to grow.

What is your opinion Dave? Are you partial to a different product? We have Timbertech, verdana, choicedek, and Trex available at the stores I have been to. Is it your opinion that I should just go with a traditional wood product like treated 5/4 boards? I really do desire the opinions of others. Especially because I haven't started the deck yet. I want to consolidate my material choices and structural plans before I start so feel free to opine based on your research of experiences!

Also I did read up on trex and I definitely don't want to spend 3k dollars in composite decking if its going to have black spots all over it in 3 months or ever for that matter!

Last edited by l0gik; 06-29-2010 at 11:27 AM.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:58 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Myself I'm not sold on the composites
There have been problems in the past
I have not looked into all of the different composite products out there

I've ended up sticking with just PT wood, unpainted/unstained
I built my deck in 2007...so far just some light sanding here & there
I do need to reseal it

One reason I went with this is New England area....wood shingles on 2 sides of the house allowed to age naturally
So I wanted something that would just blend in
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 01:46 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Not saying all composites are bad but awhile ago i heard horror stories with it cracking/crumbling but i beleive that was narrowed down to a bad batch. Also the whole mold/black dots theory i witnessed first hand on one of my buddies deck and it was done 3 weeks ago. so just choose correctly and understand the pros and cons to each option. I used PT on my but it is this extra thick stuff and it looks really nice (even better after i stain it) If i had the money i would have gone with a nicer solid wood but i can always use those as accents.

My deck is only 12" off the ground at one point and 18" at another. I used 2x10 for the beams and dug in order to use 2x10 for the joists as well.
gmhammes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 05:39 PM   #6
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,498

Just for the record, I voted Wood.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:36 PM   #7

Thank you Ron your input is appreciated! I'm still kinda up in the air. Some people say composite decking is great and I have done several decks in trex but I didn't go back a lot later and look at them plus it was in Sacramento, CA and its hot and dry there so mildew and mold doesn't grow as easily. I don't mind spending the extra money on something that is going to look and perform well for an extended length of time such as the composite decking promises. Also I am in Atlanta GA now and humidity and rain will make for a completely different environment!
Old 06-30-2010, 01:12 PM   #8
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,498

Do a search on this site for “Trex” or “Composite Decking”.

You’ll be reading for a while.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:36 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 622

I'm with the others as far as composites. For wood look into using Ipe.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:41 PM   #10

Yeah IPE is about as nice of wood as you can go with right? I wasn't familiar with it until recently. IPE still requires some work or it will go grey on your right? But I do like the look of it from what I have seen. Thanks for the help every1.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:00 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 500

Correct Deck CX. Rated very high by consumer reports and I have been using it for YEARS with NO call backs. Unlike many people who voice their opinions without ACTUALLY using the product we have years with this product.
robertcdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:57 AM   #12

We plan to move in the next 5 years or so. I'm starting to get the feeling I shouldn't put a ton of extra money into the deck that I won't be able to get back out of it at the sale of the house. I'm guessing IPE is going to be pretty expensive and the return won't justify it. Although I do love the look and hardness of it!

Robert are you a rep or contractor? What is your experience with Correct Deck? IE commercial/residential. Also humid or arid environments extreme heat or snow/ice? We get a good mix of temperatures here in GA so I want something that will withstand that.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:04 PM   #13

Smile

A quick disclaimer: I don't have building experience. But, honestly, I would just go with pressure-treated wood. I don't have building experience, but our deck and the deck on the playhouse we have are both pressure-treated wood. Both of them have stayed structurally sound for 17 and 20 years respectively, without any extra care other than the occasional washing for the house deck. If you were to apply some sort of protective/water-resistant finish to the deck every 5 years perhaps, it would likely stay both structurally sound and attractive for a long time.
Electric_ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:58 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by l0gik View Post
We plan to move in the next 5 years or so. I'm starting to get the feeling I shouldn't put a ton of extra money into the deck that I won't be able to get back out of it at the sale of the house. I'm guessing IPE is going to be pretty expensive and the return won't justify it. Although I do love the look and hardness of it!

Robert are you a rep or contractor? What is your experience with Correct Deck? IE commercial/residential. Also humid or arid environments extreme heat or snow/ice? We get a good mix of temperatures here in GA so I want something that will withstand that.
No rep, no kickback, I am just a contractor who uses this product a lot and I have been using it for years and have great success with it. Take a look at my website if you want to, most of those decks are CX. We have a very harsh environment (not as wet as yours) we have intense UV rays and massive temperature swings (60 in a day is not unusual) most materials fail here but this product performs well.
robertcdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:34 PM   #15

Do a search on "Siberian Larch". From Atlanta, you are in a good position since the only distributor in the US is in Chatanooga. I have not used it yet but am planning on building a deck with it (hopefully soon). My next choice would be PT pine.

Advertisement

ericb1960 is offline   Reply With Quote