Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-04-2009, 09:57 PM   #1

Share |

Need help building this structure

I need to build this structure for my riding lawn mower. It will be 10'X 8'

I'm planning on using 6 4x4 posts to support the roof. Do you think this is sufficient?

I also need to now how to attach the roof structure to the posts. I was thinking about just going around the perimeter of the posts with dimensional lumber. I would then just cut bird mouth cuts into the rafters. I just need sizes of lumber or a better way to attach the roof. Instead of birds mouth cuts, I could use simpson ties at the top and even or just at the top and use a birds mouth at the eve. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

bluefitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 08:28 AM   #2

Go to your local big box store and look at the sheds on display. Build it that way. Use t-111 plywood, not dimensional lumber for the exterior. For specifics I would buy a framing book or a book of shed plans.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Go to your local big box store and look at the sheds on display. Build it that way. Use t-111 plywood, not dimensional lumber for the exterior. For specifics I would buy a framing book or a book of shed plans.
Ron
The structure will have no siding. The posts are just to hold up the roof structure. The sides will just be open.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:04 PM   #4

Sorry to bring back an old post, but I still need to build this structure. I'm hoping to build it before this summer. I checked with my local code enforcement office and do not need a permit due tot he size. I'm basically trying to build a carport type structure. It will be comprised of 6 poles and a shed roof. I live in Florida, so there is no snow load. Can someone give me some suggestions?

Here is what I'm planning to do:

- 6 4x4 pressure treated poles
-I will use 2x8 to surround the tops of the post.
-2x6 for the rafters spaced at 16"
-I will use birds mouth cuts to attach the rafters (with hurricane anchors)
I could also just use

Any suggestions would be appreciated
Old 03-26-2010, 02:18 PM   #5

Would it be better to use simpson rafter hangers instead of bird mouth cuts?
Old 03-26-2010, 02:47 PM   #6
Civil Engineer

Your diagram is hard to read, but it looks like you want a flat roof. If that is what you want, I would definitely use Simpsons, then again I use them for everything anyway. You need to anchor the posts into the ground, I suggest you buy a book on framing and foundation design, follow the recommendations. There are many posts on this forum regarding proper methods for attaching a post to a concrete footing, I suggest you do a search and read them for good information on techniques and practices for foundations.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 04:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
Your diagram is hard to read, but it looks like you want a flat roof. If that is what you want, I would definitely use Simpsons, then again I use them for everything anyway. You need to anchor the posts into the ground, I suggest you buy a book on framing and foundation design, follow the recommendations. There are many posts on this forum regarding proper methods for attaching a post to a concrete footing, I suggest you do a search and read them for good information on techniques and practices for foundations.

Thanks for the help. I'm really concerned about the roof structure. I did some research on pole foundations. All of the books I have looked at only show stud framing with different types of foundations. The roof will have a 4/12 pitch. It will look something like this:

I could just frame it with header spanning the tops of the posts like the picture. Is this the best method? I'm not sure how a birds mouth cut would work on a 2x6 piece of lumer also. There isn't much to notch out. I guess I'll try some more framing books.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:06 PM   #8

A little surprised the code folks in FL don't care, but that's up to you.

a good DIY project is one you feel confident about. Maybe even push it a bit for a fun challenge.

A lot of ways this can be designed. Post & Beam framing (if you can't find a good referance book ) you could go with what you know. Like set post straight, true and plum... ok to leave them a little high..better to trim then be to short. You could hang out at the lumber yard or box store or ask some buds if they know a framer that could give you some pointers for beer or a few bucks.

We don't get a lot of snow in FL, but we sure get wind and rain.
Glad the pic you posted had an overhang...that means you will need a bird mouth..H clips...straps.. would be good too....helps put the roof /wind load to the beam...that carries the load to the post...that carries the load to the footing / post depth.

There is much to consider on proper post size & depth for the soil conditions, water table ...etc.. (assumed sandy FL).

good luck and stay safe. Good building practice keeps you and your neighbors safe too.
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:58 AM   #9

I am not certain what your question is/are....it seems you have the whole this figured out......depending on the roofing material you could even go 24 oc.....good luck and post a pic when you are done....
jammer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:28 AM   #10

I'd use 2x4 rafters 24"oc with 2x8s top and bottom and some 1x4s ripped in half across the 2X4s. Id also do a flatter roof in florida; since you wont have a snow load, you only need enough pitch for the watter to drain. extra pitch = extra wind load. becaus its got no sides, I'd do about 2' overhangs. I believe you can get 12' metal roof pannels as a standard size. no birds mouths needed. rip aq slight angle on the 2x8s if you want. maby straps to hold the roof down.

Last edited by forresth; 03-27-2010 at 10:37 AM.
forresth is offline   Reply With Quote