Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-13-2007, 04:28 PM   #1

Share |

Need help building a 2 layer stand for aquarium/snake cage

My buddy and I want to build him a new stand for his living room creatures. He currently has 2 snake cages in aquariums on a table. We want to build a regular stand with cabinet doors. The thing is we want to build it so one tank sits on the regular stand top and then have another shelf above it for the other tank but don't want obtrusive supports in the way. I've built a pretty sweet tank for my 6 foot salt water fish tank but not like the one I'm thinking of. Any thoughts? Here is a general idea of what I'm thinking of but don't know how to brace it for front end weight with out supports blocking the lower tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Need help building a 2 layer stand for aquarium/snake cage-snake-diagram.jpg  

Biggredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 07:09 PM   #2

How heavy is the top tank? Less than 50lbs? You could go to a welding shop or metal working shop and get to L shap pieces of metal and bolt them into the wall.

If you don't want the bottom part of the L visable, and you aren't afraid of drywall work, you could open up the wall and attache the brackets inside the wall with just the top part of the L sticking out.....

You could go about supporting the tank in a completely different manner, and suspend or hang it from the ceiling.....with some nice slender steel cables or something. Maybe all-thread rod.....

That's all I got at the moment.

harleysilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 07:46 PM   #3

I can only guess the tank itself weighs in the 15 pouond range, plus all the stuff in it I'll maybe guess 39/40 pounds to be on the safe side.

I'm wondering if maybe doing some metal L shape brackets but bolt it to the back of the stand. I want it to be a one piece stand. Then bolting a wood shelf to the brackets up top. An idea.

Thanks so far.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:00 PM   #4

Darn it I liked my suspension idea.....

I think you will have trouble finding an L shaped bracket that is long enough to mount to the stand below and leave you with enough clearance from the bottom tank. You will proably have to have it made for you....
harleysilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 09:30 PM   #5

The bracket would be like this, outside the ends of the length of the tank.
Attached Images

Tscarborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 11:10 PM   #6

Would this work with your diagram but the triangle reversed? Using 2x4's. Would this allow me enough strength? This way, I think, would minimize any viewing area blockage on the lower tank and have an unobstructed view of the top? So make it all w/2x4s and skin it with plywood for additional strength and for the top shelf.
Attached Images