Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-10-2008, 03:49 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need help/advice fixing Joists

[FONT='Times New Roman','serif']To preface, any and all help/feedback is appreciated. We built a new home in 2005 with a builder who went bankrupt 3 months after completing the home (this is one of many problems). My current problem that I just noticed is it seems the builder skipped ceiling joists in our bonus room for some reason, so instead of being 16 on center they are 32 on center. For reference, the room is 40 long, 20 wide, has a 12/10, and there are 6 knee walls on both sides of the room, and all rafters are 16 on center. The current joists are 2x8 and span 12 for the most part. My questions are is this structurally sound? If not do I need to add the rafters he skipped? Does the fact that there are knee walls mean that it is ok to skip rafters? And lastly what would you do to fix this problem?[/FONT]
Attached Thumbnails
Need help/advice fixing Joists-rafter-spacing-west-end.jpg  

minicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 08:49 AM   #2
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by minicus View Post
[FONT='Times New Roman','serif']To preface, any and all help/feedback is appreciated. We built a new home in 2005 with a builder who went bankrupt 3 months after completing the home (this is one of many problems). My current problem that I just noticed is it seems the builder skipped ceiling joists in our bonus room for some reason, so instead of being 16 on center they are 32 on center. For reference, the room is 40 long, 20 wide, has a 12/10, and there are 6 knee walls on both sides of the room, and all rafters are 16 on center. The current joists are 2x8 and span 12 for the most part. My questions are is this structurally sound? If not do I need to add the rafters he skipped? Does the fact that there are knee walls mean that it is ok to skip rafters? And lastly what would you do to fix this problem?[/font]
the rafters are 16"oc that's fine the ceiling beams are 32" on center.structurally that's fine. but the ceiling covering is not designed to be supported by framing members greater then 24" OC.
I believe you asked this question once before. I would Install additional 2x8's along side the remaining rafters. Remove the 2x4 nailed to the top of the existing joist. slide in your new 2x8 and nail them along side the rafters. once all are installed, reinstall you 2x4 strong back in the same location that it was originally, making sure it is nailed along side the gable stud under the ridge. then where it overhangs the ceiling joist on the other end cut it on the center and but your next strong back to that one making sure to fasten it to the opposite gable stud on the other side. this will tie both gable ends together. what i also do is install another 2x4 standing on edge making sure to split the seam on the first Strong back nail that to the strong back and also into the ceiling joists. this will help keep the ceiling all in one plane.
Good luck BOB

Last edited by buletbob; 08-10-2008 at 09:07 AM.
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 10:07 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

This is a re-post of the same question the OP asked in another thread. In that thread he received a considerable amount of advice and valuable information.

Sorry, but to re-post the question in a new thread just seems like fishing to me, and is a waste of peoples' time if they haven't seen the other thread.

Builder skipped ceiling joists in bonus room need advice
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 09:36 PM   #4
Custom Deck Builder

Rewards Points: 75

W.T.F., minicus? Least you could do is go back to your original thread and drop in a thank you for the folks who looked at, and gave advice concerning, your problem...

A little thank you goes a long way when you're asking for free advice from pros.

Mac
BuiltByMAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 09:46 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Sorry fpr the confusion. With my first post y intention was to check and see if this situation was a problem, which obviously it is. My intention with this post was to get some feedback on how to solve the problem now that I know it exists. didn't mean o offend anyone. This whole thing has caused a lot of stress with beams starting to crack, needing to get fixed before winter, and the builders mistakes have cause us a lot of financial problems.
minicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 09:58 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Ok, back to business! Can you clarify a couple things please...

The ceiling joists are 32" on center? That is insufficient, and you need to install additional ceiling joists between the existing ones to get the spacing to 16"oc. The sheetrock needs to be fastened to the added joists.

Are the rafters at 16"oc? If so, you're in good shape.

What specifically is cracking?

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote